Home for Christmas

It's the trees you notice first, as you pull up in the dark. You can see them from quite a ways away now that the corn is down and the leaves ar off the trees. A row of pines, much bigger now, all lit up for the holiday.

She has flickering candle lights in all the windows and the porch light on. Although they are expecting me, I don't see any lights on in the windows. Eli and I crunch as quietly as we can through the snow up the walk where I see her in pajamas still, peering out the front door waiting for me.

The kids aren't up yet, so we wait. It's over an hour before Birdy comes sleepy-eyed into their room, wrapped in a blanket. After a few minutes she goes back to wake up George.

The day is filled with all the splendor and excitement of the holiday. The kids are eager to see what Santa brought them. A beautiful, thoughtful gift for me, one chosen by Birdy who listened to my heart one day, another created by Bear's hands to go alongside it. Treasures, both. Since it's just the five of us this year the gift opening goes faster than usual and the kids are off to enjoy their gifts. There is much plugging in and charging to be done. There is laughter from the adults over the significant changes in technology from when we were kids, but the irony that they use it to watch shows we grew up on. Three seasons of the Cosby Show on a portable DVD player.

Jules has food aplenty. More than we could ever need or want. With a fire roaring in the fireplace, we flip channels, we play Guitar Hero and we laugh. Jules works on the puzzle, a tradition Mom started and she's carried on. We eat pizza for dinner, another tradition that will never die.

While there is nothing remarkable about the day, while there is nothing extraordinary to savor or remember, Christmas at Jules' is like coming home. And while I miss my boy, and I look forward to our celebration together next week, today was a beautiful way to spend Christmas with family. And for that, I'm truly grateful.

Merry Christmas!

Comments

stacy said…
merry christmas, dear friend!

it sounds like you had a lovely day! i am breathing a sigh of relief and contentment, now that the day is done.

looking forward to reading my new book, if only my eyes will stay open...
Anonymous said…
That was the perfect gift - you know how much it means to me for people to come and enjoy. . . Jules
Anonymous said…
PS - No lighted trees now, too much water and the GFI will not reset. . . same problem you are dealing with!
Jennifer said…
Merry Belated Christmas!!! Hope you have enjoyed your time off and the glory of the season that surrounds us :)

Popular Posts