It Tastes Like What?

George does really well when I sub in his classroom. He calls me Miss Jane like all the kids do. He doesn't act out or act like he knows me outside of class. And if it weren't for the fact that I drive him home everyday, the kids might not even realize we were related - well, this is the class that didn't realize they had triplets in the room until it was pointed out to them.

Days when I am in George's room are particularly fun sub days for me. His teacher is very organized and a fantastic teacher so her plans are always well organized and thorough. Her class if full of fantastic kids. Sure, there are a couple that I have to keep my eye on, but they are a truly delightful group of personalities.

Today we had a math assignment that involved counting, sorting and graphing jelly beans. The teacher felt particularly bad about leaving me such a task (handfuls of jelly beans and 20 first graders, she must have heard about Valentine's Day) but I assured her it wouldn't be a problem. And it wasn't. The kids followed directions well and stayed on task. They were really quite good about it all.

But there was a point later in the day when I was allowing the kids to eat their jelly beans as we progressed through a particularly tedious book assembly project, when I just had to stop and laugh out loud.

It was George's voice that reached my ears. He said, "Miss Jane? I think these green jelly beans taste just like Pizza Hut!"

I'm not sure even Jelly Bellies have that flavor, George.

(For the sake of argument, when it was time for everyone to eat another jelly bean, most kids chose out of curiosity to try a green one. We took a vote; half the class thought it tasted like lime. Half agreed with George and thought it tasted remarkably like Pizza Hut.)

Comments

Mig said…
Oh what an INTERESTING flavor that green one must be ....

:-)
Anonymous said…
George was telling Bear this story tonight. . .and then he had to tell us (at the dinner table) that the pink ones tasted like PUKE! Ahhhh, the joys of George!

Popular Posts