The Emperor's Children - Messud

I actually finished this book (reluctantly) a couple of weeks ago, but was never motivated to write a review. Suffice it to say I did not enjoy this book and did not find myself drawn in to the characters or the plot at all. I tried. I really did try, but there was nothing about the people or their circumstances that made me want to find out more. The book is primarily about three friends in their 30's in New York City. What I found it to be, however, was a depressing tale of people who seemed to lack ambition, standards and compassion. Perhaps my disinterest in the book stemmed from my lack of connections to the characters and their self-inflicted plight.

In any case, many of the critics strongly disagree with me, so take my review for what you will but my recommendation is that you leave this book where it belongs: on the shelf, unread.

Comments

Popular Posts