No Relation

My sister is going to Mexico. She and Bear are joining my dad and second mom for vacation in Mexico next week.

My dad has apparently reminded my sister on a couple of occasions that she will need to bring her own reading materials. I'm not sure if there's an anti-sharing policy in place south of the border or if there's just a high demand between my dad and second mom for the books they bring, or perhaps there is some sort of regulation that you can only bring in TWO books no matter how long you intend to stay, but my dad seems to think it's of rather critical importance that my sister not forget to bring her own books.

Only my sister doesn't read.

I don't mean she can't, or that she hasn't, or even that in a pinch, she wouldn't. She just doesn't. For as much as I read, my sister is balancing out the universe by refusing to even look in the direction of a book. She thought Barnes and Nobles was a law firm on TV. (I jest.)

Anyhow, it has been no small bit of amusement to me that my dad keeps bringing this up to my sister -to the one that doesn't read. She has apparently shared with him that she doesn't seem to think she will have any use for a book, so not to worry. But still, he is concerned.

Today, when we were chuckling about it my sister said that she MIGHT pick up a book at the airport, but she certainly wasn't going to go out and buy books ahead of time for the trip. I said I couldn't even think of what sort of a book she would read or I'd offer her any of mine to take.

She said, "Oh, I know of a book I'd like to read, I'm just not sure I'll be buying it to take to Mexico."

I stared in disbelief. "You? You know of a book you'd LIKE to read?"

"Yes."

And before I could even make a crack about a certain financial guru that she's obsessed with and how it must be his autobiography or his latest decree on how to make a million with only a penny and a pack of gum (oh, I kid. It's not like he's a complete whack job.), she says, "Dave Ramsey recommended it, but it's not about finances. It's about fathers raising daughters."

Now, pause with me to consider just how Type A my sister really is. She not only cannot possibly imagine the idea of reading while on the beach in Mexico, she cannot fathom planning ahead of time for some relaxing novels to have along, but even if she were pushed into reading a book, it would darn well NOT be for silly pleasure, nor would it, apparently, have anything to do with her. Instead, she would like to spend her rare book-reading time about how BEAR's relationship should be with Bird. As recommended by the financial dude on the radio.

I said, when I could smother my laughter, "You just can't read a book just to read a book, can you?"

"Heck no! I have no interest in reading about other people's stories!"

Nope, we're not sisters. No relation at all that I can tell.

Comments

Katrina said…
I grew up in a reading family, and it's hard for me to fathom people who don't read much. We did share books a lot, and even now, when one of us reads a good one, we're on the phone telling the rest of the family about it.

My husband, it turned out, is not as big on reading for pleasure as the rest of my clan; he'd much rather spend his few minutes of free time playing a video game or talking on the phone (I hate talking on the phone!) However, at my behest, he had read The Lord of the Rings trilogy and all the Harry Potter books, and he occasionally takes me up on my recommendations when I find something that is particularly up his alley, reading-wise. It's just weird to me that he doesn't have a library card. He's content to use mine. I don't get that.
Anonymous said…
Amy's sister used to read all the time as a child. . .but there is not time for that now. There will be plenty of time for reading when she retires and the kids are gone, but even then it will not be fiction. LOL
~**Dawn**~ said…
I thoroughly enjoy books. But for some reason, I prefer to read them at home. When I travel, all I want are magazines!

Popular Posts