A Matter of Grace

My brother called last night. It caught me off guard. I haven't spoken to G in more than a month and had not programmed his new number into my phone so I didn't realize who was calling before I had already answered.

We didn't talk. I made some excuse, I told a lie, and I got off the phone as quickly as I had answered.

We've had a falling out. A major one. With details far too intimate to discuss on a blog. And the truth is, I haven't gotten past it. I think I've actually forgiven him for his trespasses against me, to be honest. The problem I have, the hostility I continue to feel, is more for the way I feel he is currently still taking advantage of family. For his lack of appreciation. For his arrogance that with all the generosity that has been afforded him (despite the major issues) he is unwilling to do the small things asked of him.

And so there is silence.

I cannot listen to his chipper voice tell me about his job, his golf, his friends. I cannot respond with the appropriate "mmhmm's" or "really?"'s when all I want to do is scream.

I know this is my burden. I know it is my heart that has to bend. I know that I have to learn to love him again, as he is. But I get hung up. I get angry at his arrogance, his disrespect, his lack of appreciation, in particular for all that my dad is doing for him.



But a voice, in the back of my head is whispering. Is reminding. Is nudging.



How arrogant, how disrespectful, how unappreciative am I at times, perhaps most of the time, of my Father's generosity, of His grace? How often is God frustrated with me for my complete lack of obedience, lack of gratitude for all that He does for me?

When I call, does God tell me He is just sitting down to dinner and will call me back?



Grace is receiving something you don't deserve. A gift. It's not a reward, it's not something you could ever earn. It has to be undeserved in order to be grace. My dad is demonstrating grace to my brother.

My Father is demonstrating grace to me.



When will I learn how to demonstrate it to my own brother?


Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.


Matthew 18:21-22 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think you've afforded the grace, as there were options for dealing with this that were not as pleasant as the road taken. This is not an issue of grace, it's one of respect and respect is earned and not just a "given". Jules

PS - BLOG SOMETHING HAPPY TODAY - IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!
stacy said…
oh, amy. time will heal and hopefully, God will get your brother's attention and he will finally understand the grace his family has given him and the grace God wants him to receive!

p.s. *~*HaPpY BiRtHdAy*~*

a package is in the works...sorry, late as usual! :o/
Katrina said…
Great post, and it makes me look inside myself, as so many of your posts do. Thanks for that.

And Happy Birthday, Fabulous You!
Jennifer said…
You struck a nerve with me too, Amy. Maybe God is trying to get my attention, as well :) Grace is freely given, but respect...well, Jules said it well :) Don't let one blur the lines of the other, and don't let anything make you feel guilty for doing what needed to be done, or saying what needed to be said. You will come out on the other side of this situation and will be a stronger person because of it. It just might take some time...

Blessing to you on your Birthday!!!
Sarah Louise said…
Ah yes. She with no sin pick up the first stone. Thanks for this post.

And Happy Birthday!!

Popular Posts