Tagged

Wendy tagged me to write to 10 people to say something I wouldn’t normally say. I’m not to name the person, I’m just to write how I feel. After reading Wendy’s blog, I’ve decided that it suits me better to say things I should say more often to certain people. I will name names for this one.

1. Julie: 95% of our relationship occurs on the phone. Interrupted, incoherent, and very rarely the only task either of us are focused on at the moment, the time I spend with you on the phone is still some of the best moments of my day. While I chose to remain in PA, there are so many times I wish I could stop by and help with a project, or come take the kids to McDonald’s for dinner and give you some time off. Or just sit down with you and talk. My only regret is that Mom never saw us get along like we do. She endured our childhood battles more than anyone, I wish she were here so she could see that you are, truly, my best friend.

2. Stacy: From the very first day I met you, you have been an inspiration to me. In that Human Relations class you shared unabashedly that the woman you admired most was a woman of the Bible. You said it might change in a week, when you started studying the next one in your Bible Study class. You were funny, open, honest and Christian and I learned so much from you then. Today you continue to inspire me. The example you give me on raising Christian children, the words of encouragement you give me when they are most needed, and just the general sense of support through prayer that I’ve always had from you. I miss you. I am so glad, however, that despite the many states between us, God has kept us close.

3. Chris: I owe you more than a paragraph, my girl. Last night, playing cards with LM (see blog below) I exclaimed RudeNESS! And realized how much I miss you. You were such a great influence to me in college. You were so funny and so smart and had such a great balance in life. You were a big sister to me in so many great ways. As adults, you have taught me such lessons I don’t even know where to begin. I will never in my life forget your wedding. I will never forget Kevin crying as you came down the aisle. The love that you two share is tangible to the rest of us. I will also never forget the phone calls that told me of Andrew and years later, of Abby. I remember shouting at Josh when Abby was born saying, “It’s too early!!!” I know that I wasn’t there to share in the daily grief of two babies taken back to Heaven, but I know that I learned so much from you during that time. I didn’t understand why, when you were pregnant with Rebecca. I didn’t understand how you could possibly…but again, you were there to teach. God is good, Chris, and you taught me that. God answers prayers. God is there with us every single day. God bless the Waden family, Chris, Kevin, Rebecca, Allison, and the two angels, Andrew and Abigail. I love you all.

4. Bear: You got all sappy on me when I blogged on your birthday, so bear with me. Just last night, Jules said that you really want to come to PA. You. She didn’t say she did (although I know that much) she said you. Now, maybe she’s just trying to be extra nice to me or something, but it touched me. When you come to my house, I put you to work. You fix things, you hang things, you get suckered into wrestling with my child for hours. I would never think it was a trip you’d volunteer for, just something you’d endure for your wife. You are a great brother, Bear. I’m glad you’re part of the family.

5. LM: There are times, as a parent, when you are prepared for your heart to be broken, or for your heart to be touched. You know that watching a school play will be a funny but proud moment. You know that teaching you to ride a bike will be the most excruciating thing your own heart will go through (for now). Last night you and I sat down to look over some charity information we had requested. We have decided as a family that we need to do more to share our blessings and we wanted to make an involved decision. Watching you watch a video on starving children in parts of the world that are just words to you, watching your expression as you saw the work they do for such little reward, the conditions they live in, the lack of absolutely ever creature-comfort we take for granted including clean water. But when you handed me the phone and just said, “Call, Mom. Call.” It was more than I could bear. You and I will learn a lot through this experience. We have already taken a look at our life and realized we are so incredibly blessed – beyond what we could ever deserve. Thank you, for being a child with such a big, soft, heart.

6. Garrett: No matter what is going on in my life or what the latest piece of little stress is all about, you always, ALWAYS have a funny story to tell me. From Hank the Hound (with the Huge Wanker) to nearly falling off a roof while talking on a cell phone, to walking into a sign because you’re too busy gawking at a hottie, you always make me laugh. Thanks for giving me a little humor in my life. Thanks for calling me nearly every day and keeping our relationship close. Thanks for being my buddy and for listening to me when things are rough.

7. Little Bird: I don’t know how it happened, girl. How is it that a girl who is EXACTLY like I was when I was 9, was born to my sister? You and I both love horses and ponies and cats. We both love dolls and playing dress up. We both love to do nice little things for people. We both color meticulously. When I had prayed nearly 10 years ago that God would give me an Emily to love, I didn’t know he would give you to me as my niece. I am so glad to have you, I am so glad that we will get to see each other this summer!

8. George: Oh, George. You are a bundle of boy. You are mischievous, funny, clever, disobedient, and sometimes even crude, but you make me laugh. “Mom, it smells like farts in here.” I will laugh at that for weeks! Your cute dimply smile will get you far in your life. Those huge eyes will make most everyone forgive you anything. Thank you for being you. Even when you drive your mom crazy, I will always think you are funny and cute. I’m proud to be your Aunt Fred.

9. Gabe: This leash matter has to be solved, my boy, but even so, even when you nearly devour the neighbors cat THROUGH the glass door, even when you think you need to frighten a 5-pound terrier with your massive bark, even when you bark out the window for 20 minutes at a lawn chair that has blown off someone’s patio, I still love you. I love that you go to bed when I do, and that you put your head by my pillow and wait for a little rub and for me to say “Goodnight, Gabe” before you lay down. I love that you will sit just outside of the kitchen, drooling as you wait for me to give you a piece of peanut butter sandwich each morning. I love that when I am on the couch watching a movie, you will lay down as close to me as you can on the floor, even if it means you have to slide the coffee table to get there. I love that when I’m on the computer, you will come put your head over the back of the couch as if you’re reading over my shoulder. I am so glad we got you. I am so glad we have you. I am so glad you are there to brighten my days and give me some nuzzling after a long day.

10. God: I couldn’t have this list at all if He didn’t make all things possible. If He hadn’t brought these people (and dog) into my life with such purpose and reason. I am so grateful for the life that I have. I am even more grateful for the people that I have within my life. God is responsible, and to Him I give the praise.

It’s not quite the same, Wendy, but I hope this will do.

To anyone out there who wants to be tagged for a good list or a bad one, consider yourself “It!”

Comments

Wendy said…
Oh, this will certainly do!! Now I'm ashamed of mine though! Ashamed I tell you! Ashamed!

Lovely post Amy. Truly.
Katrina said…
*fumbles around for the kleenex box*

That was awesome. So wonderful. I have some people I need to talk to, I think.

Popular Posts