Not Such a Novel Idea

I just finished the book "The Stones of Summer" by Mossman. I added it to my list of 2006 reads over to the right.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I tend to pick up books by recommendation, by the sounds of it, and very little by actually knowing anything about the plot of the book. I don't want to know too much before I've even cracked it open.

That might help to explain why...

I.Do.Not.Get.This.Book.

It's just over my head. I lost interest on page 2 and never regained it through the 500 and some pages after. I could have lost my place along the way and never been able to figure out where I had been. Only out of some inane sense of duty did I trudge through the book just to get through it. I'll even admit, I skimmed a couple pages near the end when it seemed as though any explanation that was going to help me at all was not forthcoming.

I hate feeling like I'm just not that smart, but boy, trying to digest this one, I feel like I never set foot in a college English course at all.

I will put this book on my shelves with all the other books I have read. Maybe someday, someone smart will peruse my shelves and believe I was far more brilliant than I really was simply for having supposedly read this book.

Or maybe my sister will just deem all my books "JUNK" and will throw them all away.

Either way, I suppose the book will matter about as much.

Comments

Popular Posts