Joyful

I never would have guessed when I first became friends with C and K in college that I would ever share a day like today with them. For starters, they didn't date in college. It wasn't until after we all graduated that they took a more serious interest in each other. And when I was in college and knew them both, I was falling in love with J. But here we are, 14 years or so later, spending the day after Thanksgiving together in Michigan, them married for years now with three kids and me, now since divorced forging my life on my own.

All those years ago, I never would have said that K would be such a hands-on, willingly involved, active father. I never would have said he'd have so much fun with his two daughters or even his infant son. He's Type A all the way (and then some) and to see him so relaxed, so dare I say, carefree, so focused on fun and people and family, it was such a beautiful thing.

And while C is everything I knew her to be from the first day I met her, to still be so beautiful inside and out, to still be filled with such joy, such love, it never ceases to amaze me. They have been through a lot in the nine years they have been married and it has all brought them closer together. There's no bitterness, no pain, no anger in either of them, even though few could fault them for feeling any of it.

They have three children here, two in heaven, seven times pregnant all things considered. The three children I have the pleasure to know are beautiful, well mannered, sweet, precious children. I am sure they have their moments, all children do, but the care in parenting shows through with these kids. K and C both parent equally, they both support each other in their roles, they both work together and it shows.

I sat and talked with C for hours today. K, too, but he was also getting kids down for naps and entertaining while we had a chance to catch up. I could have sat there for days and not grown tired of talking with her.

And they brought me a gift. Not really for the holidays. Not really for any reason at all. Just because after reading my blog (particularly how I hand-peeled 145 pounds of apples) they saw this apple corer/slicer/peeler gizmo and just knew I needed to have it. And so they gave it to me today. That's the perfect kind of a gift.

And they let me hold the baby. So amazingly precious. So beautiful. So sweet. He still smells just like a baby should smell and he still coos and wriggles and just looks at you like he could look at you for days.

And I got to giggle with the girls. I got to put in pony tails and help in the potty. I got to tie shoes and zip coats and see the twinkle in their eyes.

And they sent me home with homemade pie (made by grandma - God bless this woman, she's so kind to me, lets me invade her home to see her kids and grandkids - ).

And while yes, I'd like to steal the baby, frankly, I'd like to steal all their kids, but I'd like more to know their secret to such happiness, their secret to such a beautiful relationship together and as parents. I'd like someday, for them to tell me so that I might have it, too. While J and I never fought, we never disliked each other, we also never had the spark, the chemistry that C and K do. It's the whole package that I honestly envy.

I drove home in silence, in the dark, wishing once again I had someone in the passenger seat to talk to. If I had, I realized, all I could have said tonight was "wow." Wow. C and K you two are such a blessing in my life. Your love for all those around you just shines through. I know, sometimes I struggle when we're all together, but it's just so hard for me to think of all that went wrong with J and how it really should be all four of us sitting there together laughing and reminiscing. It makes me miss all that I thought he and I had once.

But you give me such hope. Such joy. Such complete bliss. Just being around all of you does my heart such good.

Today, I give thanks to all of you, the Joyful Family. I hope you all love each other so completely and so beautifully for years and years to come. And I hope I get to be such a close part of it for years and years to come. Thank you, for a beautiful day. Thank you for being such beautiful people. And thank you, both, for being such wonderful friends.

Comments

Sarah Louise said…
What a lovely post. I could write more, but it would be a novel lenghth.

(how's yours, btw?)

and I'm learning that even when you're dating, you often have the empty passenger seat, the times that can't be shared.
Mig said…
It's moments like those that you don't want to ever end.

And the ride home shouldn't have an empty seat and maybe this time next year, it won't.

:)
Katrina said…
What a sweet picture of a joy-filled marriage! Your tribute to these unique friends is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

Popular Posts