The Boy

just asked me (while he's writing his NaNo story - he has 2,014 words to date!), "Hey Mom? How do you spell 'ushin'?" I gave him that motherly blank stare that meant I'm going to need more to go on that just that. "You know," he explained, "when two things happen simultaneously?"

Oooooohhhhh, you mean UNISON.


LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

This kid cracks.me.up.


(you can tell he's a reader, can't you? He actually does this quite often. He knows what the word looks like and what it means but he hasn't heard it spoken enough to know how it's pronounced. I'll try to share these little gems when they come up as they often give me quite a good natured chuckle!)

Comments

Katrina said…
This happens to me a lot, too! Here are just a few of the words I've mispronounced over the years (to uproarious laughter):

awry
rendezvous
Greenwich
Aloysius

I know there are tons more, but I try to forget my mistake after I discover it! LOL!
Mig said…
Oh Me Too ...

I once read a book with a character named Imogene.

Except I thought it was pronounced I-MOG-IN.

Go figure. :-)
Anonymous said…
I used to have the hardest time with minute (as in small) and row (as in a fight). They are spelled the same as other words, but pronounced very differently!
Katy said…
my mom's favorite from me what chaos. Which I pronounced as cha-hoos.
Jennifer said…
We have a ton of these in our house - and in my family between me & my sisters. I'd tell you what they are, but then I'd have to kill you for laughing...and, trust me, you would definitely laugh.

I think my favorite from my baby sister (who is now 21) was Chester Drawers...chest of drawers :) She still slips every now & then and says it the wrong way!
Sarah Louise said…
your son is doing NaNo?? Good for him! Wow!!

i'm sure I could come up with a ton of the unpronounced word thing, but the one I remember the most is a fight I had with my best friend that Starring was pronounced "staring." I said, when she insisted on the correct pronounciation, that that's how people that were stuck up said it, with the extra "ah" in there. (The book in question: Staring (I mean Starring) Sally J. Freedman as herself.

happy writing!!

Popular Posts