You Might Think I've Done This Before

Step One: Get boxes of empty applesauce jars located and unpacked. Reminisce about how long it's been since you've used ALL the jars you have.

Step Two: Buy new lids. Buy more new lids. Buy a few extra just to err on the optimistic side that you're going to get your hands on your apples this year.

Step Three: Visit the orchard with friends. No Ida Reds, so you pick a few Empires and Golden Supremes and go home and can two and a half jars. Vow to not can any more unless they are Honeycrisp or Ida Reds.

Step Four: Watch for Ida Reds. Hope for Ida Reds. Pray for Ida Reds (since Honeycrisps are either gone or way too costly.)

Step Five: Sing a song of thanksgiving as you pick bag after glorious bag of Ida Reds at a beautiful Michigan orchard.

Step Six: Pick a few more, just in case. Wonder how many apples you need to have enough applesauce for a year. Pick a few more just in case. Pick a few Empires just to try. Pick a few more. Pick a few more.

Step Seven: Stand agast at the check out stand when she announces you've picked 145 pounds of apples. Thank goodness they are cheap at the orchard! (Silently wonder if you left your mind in PA.)

Step Eight, Nine, Ten, Thirty-six, Fifty-eight: peel (by hand) every apple. Cube and cook with special Top Secret Recipe, can 3-4 jars per cooked batch. When cool, start stacking jars in the closet. Start to wonder if you'll ever eat anything BUT applesauce.

Step, Well, Whatever We're On Now: Put the last batch of apples in the pot, process the last needed batch of strawberries to be added later, wash the last remaining jars and stand and wonder how on earth did you come out with EXACTLY the right amount of apples for EXACTLY the amount of jars you have from five years ago.

Now, applesauce anyone?

Comments

Jennifer said…
Yes please! Need my address??? How much do you charge per jard and will you UPS?!?

By the way, never heard of Ida Reds...my favorites are Cameo or Pink Lady :)
Katy said…
I like applesauce! I've never had homemade applesauce.
Jules said…
Oooh, how wonderful! Strapplesauce! I've never had homemade, either. You are my new cooking hero, feel free to share any recipe you like, really!
Anonymous said…
Homemade applesauce! We haven't made any this fall! Thanks for reminding me to add it to my to-do list.

You know, it might be easier if, oh, it was just mailed to me... ;)
Jennifer said…
Amy - looks like you might have just started a home-based business if you're willing to part with some of your stock! Seriously, would you consider shipping???? I would totally pay for homemade sauce since my kiddos and I love it!!!!
Amy said…
You all are too much. I would ship it, I would, but it's not like it's GREAT applesauce, it's just mine. And you can buy GOOD applesauce right off the shelf at your local grocery for far less than I could ship it!!

But thanks for the compliments! If you're ever in the neighborhood, I'll hand you a jar!
Mig said…
Here is another time where I wish we lived closer.

I'd love a jar AND a partner.

So, why'd you have to go and move farther away.

Sheesh. :-)
Jennifer said…
Yes, but homemade means healthier with no chemical preservatives. Have you ever priced Organic, healthy applesauce? It's expensive. And, I bet your's is much better :) Anyway, if I'm ever up that direction, I'll give you a call!
Got to LOVE Michigan in the fall.

-p2
jenny said…
We go through at least one huge jar of applesauce every week. My son dunks virtually every meat in it, with the exception of steak.

I keep meaning to try to make it but have a picture in my head of him, after all my hard work, telling me he likes the jar stuff better.

Maybe someday.
Katrina said…
Me, me! That totally reminds me of my mom's long, long canning days during my childhood. She made applesauce, pickles, and sauer kraut (the kraut made the house stink for weeks afterward!) I used to love to sit there and watch her peel and grind the apples while I talked to her.

Enjoy the bounty! :)

Popular Posts