Tidbits

We've been in the state for what, three weeks and already we're trying to con them out of money. (What?! Like you haven't done it?!) We now live in the land of the great dime-back-for-every-soda-can (although I think it's only if you call it "pop"). LM and I took a sack (Hey! I'm back in the Midwest, I can say 'sack' again!) full of empty soda cans and faced the huge mechanism at the back of the grocery store that supposedly recycled the aluminum and spat out a nifty little receipt to give us our deposit money back. Only...some of our cans...were PA cans...that don't have a deposit on them. BUT THE MACHINE TOOK THEM ANYWAY. So, we made perhaps an extra buck. WOOHOO!!! (Hey, it's the small things when you're broke! Besides, I have to try to make up for that ticket I got!)

LM commented tonight that he's noticed somethings to be different since we moved here. One: there is cultural diversity. Where we lived in PA, well, the only black people were those who had spent too much time at the shore...okay, not quite, but seriously, I think LM went to school with ONE non-white child. Now, LM is the MINORITY.

He also commented that people don't say, "I was just kiddin' " They say, "I was just playin' " A big difference in an 11 year old's vernacular. And they don't sigh exactly, they do this clicking thing with their mouth, apparently.

I commented that it wasn't until I was watching Monday Night Football (the game was in Philly) that I realized, "wait a minute, we aren't in Philly anymore...) That's why they call me "Flash."

Other perks? It takes me 10 minutes to get to my job. (I know, I'm temping, but STILL!) There are college kids EVERYWHERE (at the market, there were three men and a cart. The cart contained: four frozen pizza, five loaves of bread and beer.)

Wow, whaddya know, sit down to blog and I post THREE TIMES. And I had nothing to say. Now, go to Newly's blog and beg for pictures of her itty, will ya?

Comments

jenny said…
No sighing? That's my main form of communication some days...

And you're temping/working? Excellent news.

So when the redemption police do their nightly internet search for violators of the recycling laws you'll have money to pay for bail.

Good to have you back (although, you really never left, did you?) Amy.
Sarah Louise said…
Your profile seems to still think you live on the East Coast (that broken record SL!)

I am SO HAPPY you are temping. Well, I mean, at least you have some money coming in. And cultural diversity and college boys--good.

Oh, and you can buy beer at the grocery store? SWEET!

And Newly's baby is so sweet...
Katrina said…
I LOVE getting can deposits back! Even though you technically pay it at the register when you buy the pop, it still feels like "found" money when you cash it in! When we lived in Oregon, we used to cash in our cans and then go out for food on the money...date night! LOL!

Popular Posts