With 364 Days to Plan Ahead

Today, while LM hung out with me at work, I realized his dad never called him on Christmas. It's not a huge deal, I thought, he'll see his dad Wednesday evening, but still, I can't imagine not talking to my son on a major holiday. Within the hour, my cell phone rang and LM came to the office where I was, talking with his dad on the cell. They spoke for a few minutes and then he handed the phone to me. His dad had forgotten what arrangements we had made for swapping LM mid-week. I reminded him that I was bringing LM to work on Wednesday and my ex was picking him up from my office (which was a courtesy to my ex, since work is much closer to him than my house is). He asked if we could change that. He hadn't realized his significant other was off work on Wednesday (I thought he was going to ask to have LM sooner) and so they'd like to do their Christmas shopping on Wednesday. I wasn't certain what this translated into for my purposes until he said, "Could I just pick him up on Thursday instead?"

I told him that was fine, I have never had a problem with having more of LM's time. Before I could put too much thought into the idea that my ex postphoned seeing his son over the holidays because he had SHOPPING to do, he asked if I would put LM back on the phone. "I'd like to ask him what he got from you yesterday," he said. Well, that'd be a nice gesture, to actually ask LM how his Christmas was...but my ex continued, "so I don't duplicate anything."

In simple terms:

Despite being after Christmas, my ex postphoned getting his son for the holiday by an entire day so that he could get his Christmas shopping done, including the gifts he is getting for LM. (I made sure to tell him what I've already purchased for LM's birthday in May (I'm not that prepared, it's just extra from Christmas) just so he doesn't go out and buy that.)

I should note that when I found out that LM hadn't purchased ANYTHING for the people on my ex's side of the family (despite the need to get the gifts shipped to Florida in time for the holiday) I helped him create a list of ideas for all seven people and together we purchased four of the gifts.

I guess I won't hold my breath that LM's presents will be wrapped.

Update: at 4:55pm, my ex called me while out shopping. "What size shoe does LM wear?" I could wager a guess, but I'm just not certain why I need to help his shopping at this point. "I think you'd want to have him with you to try them on," I suggested. "Oh, okay, nevermind then. Thanks." Christmas shoes, apparently, are all the rage with 10 year old boys.

Comments

Been there - it's something you don't forget no matter how many years go by.

What did Steve Martin say? "You need a license to fish but anyone can be a father."

LM is lucky to have a mom who understands.
jenny said…
This just plain sucks, Amy.

I'm sure you handle it well with LM but you've got to be seething inside.
Amy A. said…
That is sad. I'm sorry, Amy.

LM IS lucky to have you.
Jennifer said…
It blows my mind that a parent, be they the father or mother, would put off seeing their child! I cannot imagine being that child either. I feel badly for the both of you! On the other hand, having a wonderful mom to show you what real LOVE is is the best gift a kiddo could have!!!

Good job mom!
Anonymous said…
i totally understand having a father that is less than great. my holidays always consisted of the same void of acknowledgement and a week or two later correspondence by mail. the envelope usually contained a post dated check for $10.00 to not cash for a month.

and my father wonders why i could care less about his less than stellar efforts as of late.
Anonymous said…
364 days aren't really enough to prepare for a major holiday are they???

Sis

Popular Posts