Of Things That Hurt

Little Bird called me yesterday. "Aunt Fred! Aunt Fred!! I got my ears pierced!! And it only hurt for a second!!"

I knew she was getting her ears pierced, it had been one of her birthday gifts for her 10th birthday. I had spoken with her about it while we were on the cruise and I knew she was looking forward to it when she got back home.

What I wasn't prepare for were the tears. Of mine. I sat in my car and sobbed. Because I miss her. Because I should have been there. Because my Little Bird, my favorite and only niece is growing up while I am far, far away. I do not want to miss these moments. I want to be in Michigan.

Comments

Sarah Louise said…
I guess it's cold comfort for me to say, but you did share the moment when she called.

It's tough to be far from family...

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child." (Anon.)

Popular Posts