Six Word Memoir

I’ve been giving thought to the idea of the “six word memoir”, perhaps too much thought. I’m finding it difficult to determine what I think defines my life. Certainly I was married and then divorced, but does that define my life? Perhaps in some regard, yes. In others, I hope not. If so, can I aptly convey my divorce as a positive thing? Certainly being a mother plays a significant role (one would hope) in defining who you are, but shouldn’t be limiting. This is tricky.

In some ways, I feel as though my memoir might read:

“Jerry Springer called. I hung up.”

In others, I feel it might read:

“Liberated by divorce; graced with child.”

Perhaps:

“Saved by God, more than once.”

Or:

“Opened husband’s closet. Single is better.”

Or:

“If I didn’t laugh, I’d cry.”

Or perhaps what I’d like it to read:

“Life gave artichokes. I made lemonade.”

Comments

Sarah Louise said…
I love that last one.

my vw is sovmuyh, (so very much)

hee hee!
jenny said…
*woosh*

that was the artichokes comment sailing right over my head.

:)
Amy said…
I didn't mean for it to be complicated. The original phrase is "life gave me lemons, I made lemonade" right? Well, life didn't give me anything like what I thought my life would be (hence artichokes) but I think I've made a really nice life for myself regardless (hence the lemonade). That's all.
Jennifer said…
I totally got the artichokes comment and thought it was brilliant :) You've given me something to ponder too. As a mommy, I feel like my life is defined by my kiddos. As a wife, my life is defined by my husband. As a woman...well, my life is defined by my kiddos & husband. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be known as just ME. But, I'm just not sure that will happen, so the idea leaves me pondering what defines my life?

Good post!
Anonymous said…
You are far too witty for me. Mine would be something bland like "She was mostly pretty darn nice." or "Liked sports, eating, and other stuff."
Emily said…
I LOVE your memoir. Already I want to read. :)

The one about opening your husband's closet is amusing, though completely overshadowed by life giving you artichokes. HILARIOUSLY CREATIVE!
Anonymous said…
Have I told you you're brilliant lately? Or ever for that matter? You really are. Great post.

Six words is never long enough.

Tink
http://pickledbeef.blogspot.com
Stupid beta.
Bearca said…
I love, love, love this post! So creative and funny. Now I need to get thinking about my six-word memoir.

Popular Posts