The Price of a Walk

Have I mentioned we’re in dog training- again? This is method number, um…four…for dealing with leash aggression. I’ve now officially paid through my nose (that might account for its size and shape) in an effort to make my dog happy to see other dogs when we’re out on a leash. So far? Not working. This latest round of training is GUARANTEED!! They will work with my dog for years if necessary to solve this or any other problem. And no, it’s not the people who wanted me to just bark at my dog. The trainer is coming to visit us at our house tonight since Gabe does GREAT with them at their house but really, really LOUSY at home with me (despite me doing supposedly all the right things). We.Shall.See.

Last night we went to the dog park. I know, I know, I said I wasn’t going there anymore but it just calls to me and I feel the need to go let my dog run free for an hour. We went. I tried to practice training while we were there (good place to work with distractions) and he basically ignored me until he got too tired to play with the puppies and then he just followed me around reluctantly.

Why do I obsess about this dog? Why do I care if he eats a rottie when we go for a walk? Does it matter if my neighbors, whom I never see anyways, think I have the meanest dog on the block even when he’s a silly little pussy cat? Um, apparently that’s a ‘yes’.

Before we got Gabe I did a LOT of research on dogs. I had originally had my heart set on a golden retriever but when I ended up in a condo without my own yard I just didn’t think that was fair to a retriever. I didn’t whimsically pick out a mastiff. I didn’t just get him because he’s a novelty or because I wanted a big, scary dog. Quite the contrary. I picked him because the breed matched many of the things we wanted from a dog: they are generally lazy, they don’t need a tremendous amount of exercise. They are quiet, usually non-barkers, using their size to intimidate, not their voice. They are great with kids and cats and other dogs. They are trainable. They are low-maintenance dogs (not a lot of grooming). If you can put up with a little slobber (there’s always a downside) what’s not to love?

If you saw us walking around the block, you would see an owner walking her ginormous dog. He doesn’t walk me. He doesn’t pull on the leash. He will sit when I tell him to. He sits before we cross the street. He will stay and I can walk away and after some time call him to come and he’ll run over to me and sit down again. I can even have him lay down in the grass if necessary and he’ll just relax and roll around and wait for us to move again. My neighbors are all being pulled along by their dogs (big or small), their dogs are barking and yipping all the time and if you go to pet their dog, it will jump on you. In comparison, I have a GREAT, well-trained, well-behaved dog. But if you happen to be walking a dog, GOD HELP US ALL.

Somehow, with this leash aggression, I feel like I was sold a lemon. I feel like I was duped. NO WHERE in any of the reading that I did, did anyone mention leash aggression. Now, let me say, leash aggression is not limited to one breed or another. Many dogs are aggressive towards other dogs on a leash, but when they only weigh 20 pounds, you give a little pull on the leash and drag them along behind you if necessary. With 200 pounds of force, I don’t have that option. He HAS to get over this aggression.

So, I feel like I’ve somehow failed in the pet ownership department. My very cool, perfect-for-us dog, well, isn’t perfect for us right now. I have to be able to walk him on a leash. There is no other option.

So the trainer is coming tonight. I’m hoping some of the neighbors are out with their dogs so we can truly practice and not just go through the motions. I need the trainer to see exactly how Gabe reacts to the dogs and to teach me exactly how to make him STOP.

Plan B is to move out to the country.

I have to admit, it’s sounding better and better all the time.

Comments

N@ Lauzon said…
Sigh, leash aggression! (I just did a search for it on blogspot) My brat's got it too. But he's a chihuahua and I did everything by the book when I got him as a puppy, so he WOULDN'T turn out this way. Good luck with your big guy - we get a trainer on Monday. Just be glad your mastiff and my chi don't live in the same 'hood! :) (I think we know who'd win)
jenny said…
Awww, a mastiff. My sister has one and she's a love.

but I can't imagine trying to stop her if she decided to pull a nutty while on a leash.

what I can imagine is you barking at your dog trying to whip him into shape.
ahahahaha...that's priceless :)
Anonymous said…
gah - why is it that dogs always act their worst in front of an audience?
N@ Lauzon said…
Update: have you tried a Gentle Leader or Easy Walk Harness? I was just out with my guy, wearing an Easy Walk...sooooo much simpler to control- it really works! Every time he'd walk ahead, I'd pull on the harness and it turned him back toward me. Then I'd give him the 'heel' command, and off we went. Of course, he still barked at other dogs--but he wasn't pulling (which compounds the aggression because they are already all riled up at the 'end of their leash', so to speak!
Anonymous said…
what a mistake....you're a single parent with a child - don't you have enough on your plate? Surely you have better things to spend your time and money on than a dog.

Popular Posts