18 (5 + 13)

Today I have been divorced for officially five years. Here are the top five things I enjoy about being single again.

1. I never have to compromise.
2. The sense of accomplishment that comes with being a working parent, owning a home, making a car payment, paying the bills, saving for college and retirement, etc.
3. All the quality one-on-one time I have with LM.
4. Exclusively visiting my family on holidays.
5. My dog. (my ex doesn’t like dogs, doesn’t like big dogs, doesn’t like big drooly dogs!!)

Today also marks thirteen years since I graduated from college. If I could go back, here are thirteen things I would do differently:

1. Let my freshman year roommate date my ex husband instead of me (ooh, this idea just makes me laugh and smile!!)
2. Spend more time cultivating a social life and less time studying (it’s okay Dad, the 4.0 in my major hasn’t gotten me anywhere).
3. Choose a different major. (Mine was Elementary Education.)
4. Join a sorority.
5. Taken advantage of the opportunity to study abroad for a trimester.
6. Never sign up for Econ, Stats and Accounting all in the same trimester.
7. Make more 3am runs to Five Points Bakery.
8. Gone to a state school (read that: no student loans to pay off for years and years.)
9. Asked out the one guy I had a crush on during that time.
10. Spent my summers and breaks working in jobs/internships that would introduce me to potential career options instead of just trying to make as much money as possible.
11. Spend more weekends (and summers) at home with my mom.
12. I loved being an R.A., but I missed having roommates.
13. Not been such a goodie-two-shoes.

Comments

Amy said…
We were married for eight years and a day. Not our choice, it's when the judge signs the papers.
Katrina said…
Excellent list! There are some definite perks to the single life! My sister (also single) truly enjoys her life and has a spiritual centeredness that I envy. She told me once that maybe God just doesn't want to share her devotion with someone else. That could be entirely true!

I love your list of "do-overs", too. I'm totally with you on #7 (of course, in my case I'd fill in "Frozen D's ice creamery" instead of a bakery. I could have indulged a lot more back then when I had the metabolism of a road runner!
Anonymous said…
it would be nice to have do-overs but then you wouldn't have little man and that makes up for all the other missed opportunities...
Lisa said…
Terrific list! I'm always happy to see someone point out the positives of singleness - it's a great reminder when I focus too much on all the "coupleness" around me. And the quality time you get to spend with your family is priceless. I always enjoy reading your blog.

Popular Posts