Looking Out for Mom

I’m not such a good sport about Mother’s Day. I admit it. I send cards. I make a couple phone calls, but all in all I’d rather the day just pass right by. Despite being a mother myself, or maybe even more because of it, Mother’s Day is a day that points out the absence of my mom.

My brother, G, called from Georgia earlier in the weekend to ask what my plans were for the day. Truth was, I had no plans. LM was at his dad’s and despite my ability to have him home with me, I didn’t see the point. Any celebration for the day would be instigated by me. Any meal cooked or eaten out would be prepared or paid for by me. Any shopping for gifts would be done by me. Any activities at all that we wished to do, I would have to drive, plan, feed, decide and execute. You’ll forgive me for taking a raincheck on the whole celebration. A low-key, quiet day at home alone seemed like a better option.

Today, just a short while ago, I went to pick up LM for his ortho appointment. He came running out of his classroom with his lunch and money in his hand. He says, “We’re going to Olive Garden tonight!” Caught completely off guard, I said, “What? Says who?” He said, “I do!” I said, “Okay, who’s paying for dinner out?!” He said, “I am!” I said, “You don’t have money to spend on dinner!” He smiled a knowing smile and said, “Uncle G sent it to me so I could take you out to dinner for Mother’s Day!”

G had not only conjured up this plan with LM but had gone so far as to call my sister to get my ex husband’s phone number to get J to give LM the money (while G sends a check to reimburse him) so LM could take me to dinner tonight.

Thanks, G. You made my Mother’s Day special. Mom would be so proud.

Comments

Newlywife said…
Have a wonderful mother's day Olive Garden celebration with LM!
Anonymous said…
G doesn't always make the wise, or even close to wise, decisions in life. He does, however, wish that there were ways he could help way more than he is ever able to. I hope you and Jacob have a bunch of fun when you head out for dinner. Love ya bunches,

-G
Bearca said…
What a fun surprise. That almost brought tears to my eyes! Happy belated Mother's Day to a fellow mom across the country.
Autumn Storm said…
Good man G! Hope you had a wonderful time, Amy!!! :-)
SlushTurtle said…
See, that's why I asked for a big brother! I got a stinkin' little sister instead... =)
Anonymous said…
what a wonderful surprise and special mother's day gift.

hope you enjoyed it!
Katrina said…
That's such a great surprise. Too bad there's not a special Brother's Day. You'll have to start one!
Plantation said…
I'm glad you had an awesome Mother's Day. :-)
BabelBabe said…
what a sweetie!
hope you had a good time.

know what you mean about missing your mom on mother's day. it's hard.
Clearlykels said…
What a wonderful surprise from you brother! That is incredible. What a great guy. I hope you celebrated it up and had a wonderful time.
jenny said…
I hope my boy turns into a brother like G. very cool indeed :)

Popular Posts