What I Learned IM'ing With My Family

My dad recently joined the rest of the instant messaging world. Along with my niece. My brother and I were already old hats at such communication. My sister just discovered Facebook and with that her own internal chat. So tonight, as I tried to play a few hands of poker (no, not for money), I had an IM from my dad. So I responded. My brother, not 10 feet from my dad, then sends me a message. My sister came on Facebook (where I was trying to play poker) and started sending me messages. Then Birdy got online and well, I started losing track of things quickly. When Flash jumped into the mix, I nearly gave up entirely.

What I learned however, is the following:

1. My niece cannot spell.
2. My sister is still a pot calling other kettles black.
3. Despite their names appearing on each line they type in an IM window, Birdy still cannot spell either my brother's name or Flash's name correctly.
4. That the world better look out because my dad learned about Yahoo emoticons.
5. That Flash felt left out and jumped into the mix, whether as further avoidance of studying or just for the sheer challenge of juggling 5 IM windows, I'll never know.
6. That I can manage IM windows, blog about the experience and still win $2K in fake poker money at the same time.
7. That it is possible for a niece and nephew to drive my brother crazy from 800 miles away.
8. That while I can manage all of that, I still have to count on my fingers how many cards I have in a Hold 'Em game towards a straight.
9. Flash's status will read "SAT'ing" when he's clearly online IM'ing.
10. After all of that, my dad will go back and use the phone to call my sister. Two steps forward, one step back.

Comments

Jennifer said…
I impressed that you managed to win a chunk of cash will all of the other things happening around you :)

Popular Posts