Littles


"...and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you change and become like children, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3-6
This morning this verse sang to my heart as I stood at the nursery window taking in my arms the children reluctant to leave their parents. Flash and I were put in charge of only a small handful of little ones, all under the age of 3, but it was one in particular that drove this verse home for me once again.
Clinging to her mom, she was hesitant to come to me at all. Her mom handed her over and walked away saying, "She'll be just fine in a moment or two, she always is" to which I had no doubt.
We walked into the play room and I sat down on the floor with her while Flash brought over a toy for us to play with. Eventually, she got up and walked away and played with several other toys before she settled on a book. I wasn't even paying attention when I realized she was trying to get back on my lap again.
Once in my arms, she cuddled up, put her thumb in her mouth and settled in as if she was in the most peaceful place on Earth.
We are all hesitant to leave behind the cares of this world, to forgo our own plans and desires for that of our Lord. It is scary to relinquish that control, to say, "Here I am, Lord, do as you please with my life," just as this little one was scared to let go of her own mother. But it is with that same child-like trust that we must welcome God into our lives. With a fearlessness that says "I know you will do me no harm" and a comfort that says, "I can find peace right here in your arms."
Have I come to God like this child? Have I, without question or hesitation given Him control of my life today? I know that in His care tremendous blessings will come into my life. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Oh what we might learn from the little children.

Comments

Popular Posts