History

It is fascinating to me to watch history in the making in the presence of small children. I spent time in George's second grade classroom this afternoon watching the inauguration of Obama.

While I was in the room, one of his classmates, an African-American child, pointed at the television and said to me, "I thought our new President was brown." I confirmed that our new President was indeed "brown" and said the man on the television was our new Vice President and that he was in fact, white. I loved that comment. I loved that to this room full of kids, there was absolutely nothing significant at all about this man's color. It was just a fact, without any historical significance at all to their young lives.

When it was time for Obama to take the oath of office, I nudged this same student and said, "That is our new President, Barack Obama."

"Oh, see? He is brown!" the student exclaimed. "What is he doing?"

I explained that he was being sworn in to office. That he had his left hand on the Bible and his right hand was raised and the other person was a judge and he was swearing him in.

"The new President is going to swear? On television?!"

Of course I explained, but his precious innocence was priceless.

It matters not one bit to me whom you voted for. The history made today did not come easily, quickly or without a price. And looking at a room full of children, it was really something to wonder about what these changes will bring to their future. And what changes these children will bring to our future.

Comments

Jennifer said…
When he swore, did you point it out to her? That moment really was priceless :)

Popular Posts