Long Overdue

I can't quite get my mind around how long it has been. More than five years, and even then only long enough for a quick lunch at one of my favorite restaurants. For LM, it's truly been longer than he can remember. He was 2 when we moved away and has no recollection of the dear sweet, polite, quiet, methodical boy he used to play with.

Since we moved, our friendships have only grown. Stacy and I email nearly every day. She's been my friend, my support, my cheerleader, my secret-keeper, my joy, my laughter and my sister in Christ. LM and her son are sporadic but heartfelt pen-pals. Trading jokes, successes, pictures and contrasting details about their lives the two are a study in opposites bonded by friendship.

Tomorrow, after all this time, we will set off on a long overdue visit. To her house that I've never seen. To see children of hers that I've never met. To finally sit and talk with the dearest friend I have in my small precious collection.

While we are in the area, we'll stop in and see how my grandpa is doing. I hope to also take LM on his first-ever tour of the college where his parents met, including the famous ice cream shop and maybe even a sandwich from Arthur's where his dad and I used dine.

The trip will be far too short, and it will be hard to leave, but I can say with certainty that this trip will be good for the soul.

Comments

Jennifer said…
We had a trip like that a few years ago - we reconnected with Cori @ Mommy Stories and her family that we'd never met. I went to high school with her & her hubby, but we parted ways prior to graduation. It took 14 years, but we finally reconnected, mended our fences, and are now enjoying watching our kiddos grow-up as friends.

Sometimes absence really does make the heart grow fonder :)

Have fun on your trip...have an ice cream cone for me, will ya?
Katrina said…
Oh, how wonderful to have a friend like that and to be able to visit her! I hope you all have a fantastic time together! :)
stacy said…
amy, yes, looong over due! but how sweet your visit was! i might even say it was urophic! LOL!

i think C and LM are twins separated at birth, (or maybe at 2 years of age.) what a joy to see their friendship grow over the weekend!

hope your trip home was a safe one!
Anonymous said…
Amy,
How fun! Hope you enjoyed your Whitey's!! Someday, we hope to take our own "memory lane" trip with our kids as well!
Chris

Popular Posts