Have Your Heard The One

about the boy whose mother spent every day substitute teaching to pay the bills while hoping for a permanent teaching position, and every evening helping her son cram for the SAT test. The boy who sat with his mother for two and a half hours just trying to understand equations; the mother who walked through every single practice equation with him, doing the steps right alongside him in an effort to teach him the methods solidly and yet quickly as possible. The mother who applied her background in teaching to demonstrate the steps in a variety of ways, helping the boy overcome the obstacles of learning algebra in three days or less.

This would be the boy who made his mother very nearly cry when he then shared his thesis for his English essay. "I'm writing about how teachers are so hypocritical," he said, as he went on to explain the frustrating things teachers do to students.


Have you heard about that boy? No? Well, maybe you heard about the boy that was sold on ebay for $1.92 yesterday? Yeah, that'd be the same one.

Comments

Lisa said…
Awww, kids will break your heart. Although he probably doesn't consider you in the same category as "hypocritical teachers."
Jennifer said…
Yeah, but its the shipping charges that will kill you!
Katrina said…
One time when I was in school, I wrote an award winning essay about my family. I described how messy our house was, my mom and dad's parenting gaffes, my siblings' annoying habits, etc. The point was how much of a blessing my family was despite our mistakes and weaknesses, but my mom got REALLY upset about the essay and what people would think. I remember feeling totally blindsided by that--it had never occurred to me that it would affect her that way! I was just trying to write something touching, and never imagined she would be anything but proud of the finished product. I was twelve years old, but that was the day I finally realized my parents had feelings, too...lol!

(Funny thing is, I don't think my mom would be fazed these days!)
jenny said…
That was me! I shopped victoriously!

And now, I'm the proud owner of a boy who knows how to cook, plays a mean game of mini golf, is a super thoughful shopper AND will be able to teach me and my children algebra.

$1.92 for all of that?

Well worth it, I'd say. FedEx him please. :)
stacy said…
oh my! i am wondering if his teacher will consider his writing skills when she grades his essay, or merely give him a D for diplomacy? ;o)
Mig said…
SOLD! I know of a hypocritical English Teacher here that could use some straightening out!

Popular Posts