Frustrated

As I look ahead to the next year and our goal to be back in a house by next summer, I've been looking at ways to cut our budget in order to get more money in savings. One of the things I have been looking into is dropping cable. Since we mainly watch sports and movies, and now that football season is over and there's a Blockbuster just down the road, it doesn't make uch sense to me to pay $60 for our television portion of our cable bill each month. I made a couple calls to the cable company. Despite the fact that my bill appears to show a fee of $9.99 for internet (with a $10 credit for the package with television), the cable company tells me my internet alone will cost $30 a month if I cancel the cable TV.

So I call other internet providers. There are plans for $15 a month for basic DSL, but only if you have a landline phone already in place. Otherwise, everywhere I turn it's $22+ for internet alone.

What happened to free TV? What happened to internet for $10 a month? What has happened?

I am so frustrated at spending $80 a month for the TV.

Which makes me wonder, what will people do in 2010 when it's all HD? Will everyone be forced into cable or satellite? Are the days of free television over? And if so, why are we paying for the shows and still being forced to watch so much advertising?

UGH!!!

Comments

Katrina said…
I feel your pain. Paul and I get free TV now with our cable internet ($46/mo) because of the way our apartment complex is wired, but when we move, we'll just be ditching TV rather than paying for it. We mostly watch Netflix now, anyway.
Jennifer said…
We pay $65 for our cable modem, then another $80 for satellite TV! It's absolutely ridiculous and, I'm convinced, a conspiracy! Our cable service stinks, so we're forced to pay for satellite. But, we DO watch it. Everything is recorded to the DVR and we veg out each evening in front of the TV to enjoy some down-time before bed. It's our 1 vice...
~**Dawn**~ said…
HD in 2010? My cable provider said it would be all *digital* cab;e in 2010... Hmmm... I hope it's not HD. I can't afford all new tvs! Or even one for that matter.
SlushTurtle said…
Depending on where you are, you can install an HD antenna (assuming you have an HD tv) and get free over the air HD stations (much like you would have free antenna stations). We have them and notice that the local stations broadcast more channels in HD, so while we have one PBS channel on cable, we have four versions of it in HD.

Popular Posts