If Dreams Were Horses and Beggars Could Ride

Today is exactly the sort of day (and this week has been exactly the sort of week) where I would like to leave work and call my sister and say, “I’ll order pizza if you want to bring the kids over tonight”. And they would come over and the dog would get all wound up and the kids would run through the yard and come into the house with their dirty little summer feet and we would eat pizza in the kitchen, around the kitchen, with everyone talking at once. The kids would play until dark while my sister and I would sit on the deck and talk about nothing and yet everything. And later, in the glow of a Disney movie, the littles would fall asleep and I would say to Jules, “Just leave them here. I’ll bring them home tomorrow.” And she would give me a hug and drive home and I would carry the kids one by one, stepping over the dog, upstairs to snuggle up on the floor of LM’s room to sleep for the night. I would fall asleep in my own big bed with the exhaustion of a summer day well spent and the complete contentment of being surrounded by those that you love.

Comments

Shari said…
My girls will be going to Grandma's here soon.

It's only a week, maybe two, but it kills me....
Newlywife said…
What a lovely type of night. I have had a hard week, and reading this reminds me that someday, I can do that...that I am lucky to have my sister-in-law and husband's parents close by.

Thanks for sharing that!
Katrina said…
Yes, do it! Do it! Summer days are just made for such happy parades of activity! How wonderful to have an aunt like you to show them how to "suck the marrow out of life". :D
Bearca said…
That sounds amazing. I want that too!

Popular Posts