Withdrawal

Last night I did something I haven’t done in nearly 15 years. I went to the library. Sorry, I should have made sure you were sitting down before I shared that shocking news, I know. I have read all the books I have, I have sold all the books I have and I’m in withdrawal so you could say my hand was forced. (When I told my sister I went to the library, I am certain I heard her gasp.)

I rarely set foot in a bookstore knowing what book I wish to purchase. I’m a browser. I like to look at the books; I like to read a sentence or two. I like to read recommendations by the bookstore staff. I wasn’t sure I would have a similar experience at the library so I visited Amazon.com and looked at their most recent recommendations for me (and fought my inner demons to not put each and every one into my cart and ship them overnight to my door. Sigh. ) I headed off to the library with a list of about five books, not knowing what I might find.

Upon entry, I headed straight to the check-out desk to obtain my library card. A painless process, it turns out, I had a card in hand within five minutes and was set free into the vast array of books. I quickly found the fiction section and prepared myself for the rush of adrenaline that comes when my eyes feast upon shelves and shelves of new, pristine books.

But these weren’t. They were used, dusty, dirty books. And there wasn’t really that many shelves of them. And they weren’t turned to face me so that a cover or title might catch my eye and beg me to read. And there weren’t any lists of suggestions, “If you love James Patterson, try…” I held my pessimism in check and with list in hand went searching for the titles I had written down. None of them were there. I found a shelf of “New Books!” and looked sideways at all the titles hoping something would jump out at me, but it didn’t. I was frustrated with the Damn Dewey Decimal system for covering up parts of the titles or authors of the books on the binding. I finally picked up a book by one of the authors on my list, although not the book I had hoped to start with. And in an effort to feel successful, I picked up another book, completely unknown to me, so that I might at least feel as if I had found CHOICES among the shelves.

I checked out.

I went home.

I felt defeated.

There is something to be said about marketing and product placement. There is something to be said about the atmosphere of a Barnes and Noble that draws me in far more than the death-like stillness at the Public Library. There is something, even, in the scent between the pages of a brand new book.

I’m reading the two books I picked up. I am. I am trying to overcome my need for “new” and to try to simply enjoy a good read no matter what the pages look like.

But it’s not easy. And I don’t like it.

I miss my books.

Comments

Jules said…
One word to keep in mind: FREE!!! I'll admit, I love going into a bookstore and buying my books new, too, but there is something to be said for that little word, free. It means that you can read anything and everything and it won't break the bank and it won't clutter your house for ages, either. And going to the library is like an adventure. I have trouble finding things, too, but often I come out with books I didn't even know I wanted to read. Good luck! Don't give up on the library. Somebody should have been kind enough to warn you that it wasn't nice and pretty and new like the bookstore. Poor thing, it must have been such a shock. :)
jenny said…
does your library have an online/website type of thing? Where you can just punch in your library card number and the book you want and *blam* shipped right to your local library? I highly recommend it. Browsing at the library is rarely any good for me either.
Wendy said…
Yup, I'm with Jenny. That's how our library works too. You can renew them on line too to keep 'em longer if no one is especially looking for the book next. I love new books too, but .... 'free' ....
shayze said…
I'm with you Amy, there is something so wonderful about bookstores and the newness of the books! The only problem there is the paying for them at checkout, but it's so worth it!
Newlywife said…
I am in your corner on th elibrary thing. HOWEVER, a nice compromise is trying to join a book circle, where you all swap books. Obviously you need to have friends who read the same types of books and you would still need to buy some books so that you could keep swapping, but it might work!

The women in my neighborhood do it, and they love it. If you don't mind driving an hour, maybe I could get you into the club!
Bearca said…
I do love buying new books, but I also love the library! Maybe since my mom took me there all the time as a kid, I don't know, but I kind of like the risk-free book borrowing that happens there! I have picked up many a book that I probably wouldn't have bought, but ended up enjoying when I checked it out of the library.

Also, I happened to notice that you had just read Crossing To Safety by Wallace Stegner... I loved that book. You are inspiring me to find it and re-read it.

Popular Posts