You Might Think It's Funny, But It's Snot

Apparently God means for me to be surrounded by phlegm. Not only do I have to listen to my co-worker (see previous post) but my dog has caught Kennel Cough from the Bark Park. For those who don’t know about Kennel Cough, it means that my dog sounds like an 80 year old, three-pack a day’er with his wheezing and coughing and hacking. He gags and coughs and appears to be on the verge of puking but then doesn’t. Except that last night he did.

So. There’s the cough. And then there’s the puke.

This is my life.


The vet will prescribe medicine and beg me not to bring my dog in with his contagious cough and we will not be permitted to go to the Bark Park until he is cured, despite the fact that the park is where he caught it from to begin with.


There go my weekend plans.

Comments

SlushTurtle said…
What exactly is a 'bark park?'

Sorry for the grossness you must endure.
Wendy said…
Gee ... I guess I'm pretty naive as I would have thought you would all, who bring dogs to the park, you would have to have your dogs UTD on all vaccines -- including Bordetella ... aka Kennel Cough. I don't think a vaccine will help him now, but when he's over it, you can get him one. Poor fella. When we first got our dog, he had it -- and he was MISERABLE. Any activity made it even worse ('cuz he'd breathe harder.) I feel for ya.
Amy said…
Actually, Wendy, the vaccine covers only a handful of strains of the virus and it's as likely that he would get it with the vaccine. My vet doesn't recommend the vaccine for just that reason and suggests dealing with it if/when it comes so they build up an immunity which will fend off all the strains. Just like the chicken pox vaccine. LM still got the pox even with the vaccine.

It's not fun, but we'll get through it.
Wendy said…
I'm so mad my doctor MADE us get the chicken pox vaccine. I didn't want it at all (for my daughter) as they have NO IDEA how long it's good for. She could get them as an adult, which is not good. I'm so surprised LM got them still ... but I think it's MUCH better to have them as a kid.

Can you board your dog without the vaccine? Around here, you cannot even board a dog without the vaccine. It's a requirement of the kennels. (maybe of the state?)
Amy said…
Wendy,

The pox vaccine did help LM to have a much milder case, so perhaps all is not for naught.

And for boarding, I board at my vet's. If Gabe gets Kennel Cough while being boarded there, they will treat him for free. Gabe has never gotten it from being boarded.

Popular Posts