Hunting for the Right Egg

Happy Easter everyone!! Christ is risen!

As some of you remember, I have chosen not to include Santa in our Christmas celebrations in an effort to keep the true meaning of the holiday in the forefront of our hearts and minds. To that same end, the Easter Bunny is not part of our family celebration this weekend. We have a bunny-shaped basket, sure, and there might be a little bit of chocolate to put in it, but there is no belief that a rabbit hid eggs around our house. I wanted LM to wake up on Easter morning thankful that Christ died and ROSE AGAIN for HIS sins, not to wonder how many jelly beans and marshmallow eggs he could eat in an hour.

I'm not here to tell you how to celebrate the holiday. I just realized (and I probably should have shared this sooner) that some fellow Christians may be interested in how we've come to make Christ the center of our celebrations even in the midst of a hunt for eggs.

We have come to use "Resurrection Eggs" as our "egg hunt eggs". They each contain a small token that corresponds to a story told in the book "Benjamin's Box" that tell the story of Christ's journey to the cross. The eggs and the book are both available at Amazon.com or at any Christian bookstore, I am certain. They truly are a great way to tell the greatest story.

Have a great holiday everyone! And may God Bless you all!

Comments

Wendy said…
Hope you have a wonderful, peaceful day!
Newlywife said…
What a great way to celebrate...I was raised Catholic, and my dad is Jewish, so our Easter tradition always included my dad pretending not to know what Easter was and us yelling "today is the day that Jesus ROSE from the dead!" (you really have to hear it to see how funny and cute it is)...

Also, this year we went to see the Stations of the Cross as put on by the 5th graders at our church. The kid who played Jesus was adorable...he kept moaning in pain with every fall...

So Easter can be fun and you can keep the true meaning. Although I must confess to getting my husband a huge basket of candy!
Laura said…
We have the Resurrection Eggs, too. We received them as a gift a few yrs. ago and my girls look forward to doing them each yr. Sometimes we do them as we color Easter eggs. This yr. I didn't take my 3 yr old son to see the Easter Bunny at the mall (no time!)and he never mentioned it. As my girls get older, we have had some great conversations about the traditions connected to holidays and it gives me a great opportunity to teach the REAL meaning for our celebrations. I think it's so important to have those conversations.
He's Alive and we're Forgiven!
Bearca said…
What a neat idea. My husband and I struggle with how to integrate the religious/spiritual aspects of the holidays in with the popular, cultural aspects. For example, I was raised without believing in Santa (Christmas was about Jesus only!) and he was raised with that belief (although grew up Catholic). I think it's important to instill the TRUE meaning of these holidays in your children so they don't grow up thinking that holidays are just an excuse to get things.

Popular Posts