Want To Play A Game?

Last night as I was watching football an IM popped up on my computer from my Little Man. He was in Pittsburgh with his dad and had logged onto the computer to play one of his games. We got to chat back and forth for a little bit and then he wanted to play chess through messenger with me. I'm very rusty at the game, I learned it to teach him a number of years ago when a friend of mine suggested that LM might love to play it, and now LM plays far more often than I do. But we played a couple of games and it just touched my soul. He is so smart, and so gifted and just 'gets' this stuff. I need a cheat sheet to remember how the rook can move and what the bishop can do and even then I'm making horrible choices. At one point, he types, "Move the queen, Mom. The queen." I about died laughing. He's trying to help his poor mom be a better chess player. He's NINE.

Today he called on his way home to say he and his dad had just been in a car accident. Everyone was okay, but it shook him up and shook me up, too. I miss him so. Sometimes being a mom is harder than I ever imagined.

He'll be home on Tuesday. One more day.

P.S. extra credit points for anyone who knows what movie the title is from. (LM would know!)

Comments

Popular Posts