Monday, Monday, Can't Trust That Day

Today was a Monday. The calendar may say otherwise, but I know that it was.

Yesterday, I sent out five resumes. In this world of technology, it took two of the companies only 24 hours to email me the news that I still suck and they do not wish to even speak to me about employment. Another called and started to leave a message on my machine but was cut off before I know what company or what she had to say about it.

Today was inspection day for my vehicle. For those unfamiliar, like I was before moving to Pennsylvania, the state enjoys mandating an annual inspection and emissions test that alone will cost nearly $80, but the joy is that the lucky mechanic can also decide your tires are too bald, your brakes are too worn, your transmission is in need of overhaul, or maybe your blinkers just need blinker fluid. So the total bill is never to come under $100, but must at the very least triple that. So, despite driving a relatively new car (an ’03) and faithfully rotating my tires, I still had to replace two of them today and very nearly all four but the other two passed by the hair of a flea and I was saved that much. For now. I left $300 poor-er but with all the necessary stickers and paperwork to keep the police from pulling me over. At least for that reason.

In addition, the appraiser came by tonight. It’s all an effort to show my mortgage company that I do, in fact, own more than the necessary 20% of my home (I stand firm that I must own the bath AND the closet by now) and no longer need to carry the accompanying insurance that I’m paying through the nose for. The man was seriously not in my house for more than 3 minutes, took pictures of my kitchen and bathrooms, asked many a quick question about my dog and left with my $300 check in hand. I need a job that pays $100 a minute.

In about a half hour, a notary is stopping by for my John Hancock on paperwork to officially seal the deal on getting my finances in better shape. Although it would seem from today’s activities that they are getting worse by the second.

I have paid the bills and found myself to have about enough again for a coke. A small one, at that. I am grateful that I at least can pay the bills, and the mechanic and the appraiser, although one of those will have to be truly paid at a later date. But I am wondering how I am going to get through the holidays with only one small coke to share.

Ah, sigh. A Monday, certainly. I do hope that somehow the world rights itself by morning and I find it to truly feel like a Friday. If you can keep a secret, I have tickets (free, even!) to the premier of Harry Potter on Saturday. LM doesn’t know a thing about it. Shhh…don’t ruin the surprise. On Sunday he leaves to go with his dad for the Thanksgiving holiday. I won’t see him for a week. That week will surely feel full of Mondays without him.

Comments

Popular Posts