Fantasy Football

I am in love. I didn’t realize it until today when the rush just fell over me. I’ve known him for quite some time. Our relationship comes and goes with the seasons, but today, the moment I heard his voice I knew. I am in love with Chris Berman. I might not like his entire pre-game staff that joins him at the ESPN sports desk on Sunday afternoons (3 out of 4 ain’t bad, but man, that ONE) – but Chris more than makes up for it. On the opening day of the 2005 professional football season today, Chris handled with grace, eloquence, wit and charm the games of the day. Beyond that though, he handled the recent events of Hurricane Katrina, not only as it affected football teams and games but how it has affected us all. He did not overlook nor overplay the anniversary of September 11th, either. Reminding us all that football is just a game, and yet in many ways today it brought hope to the hopeless and simple joys in times of great sorrow and upset. Watching news clips today of Brett Favre’s mom trying to reach him after the hurricane leveled her home was tear-jerking. And that was Sunday pre-game material. There is no crying in football! Today he handed a primetime game ball to the New Orleans’s Saints simply for bringing something to the refugees in our own country that no one else is as capable of bringing…a distraction, laughter, joy, hope. On any given Sunday, Berman sings, jokes and out-smarts any other announcer in the sport. He knows his history, his players, his movies and his audience. He is never insulting or cruel. He is not quick to give too much credit until it is well-earned, either. He is balanced and poised. Sure, there are more attractive men in football that I could shine my admiration upon. In a pinch, Howie Long will certainly make some cerebral comments, but overall, no one combines the humor with the smarts like Berman does. There are many many players that captivate my attention on the field, but none holds a candle off fiel to Chris. Sunday nights in the fall are a favorite of mine. Dishwasher and dryer are done for the day, Little Man is in bed, puppers is sleeping at my feet, cat curled up on my lap, glass of wine, bowl of popcorn and football. In preparation for the game, I listen to Berman recap the days events in football. He has educated me in the game of football. He is my coach. He puts it all into perspective. I love football. But I love the game because Chris Berman makes it what it is. He keeps it from being taken too seriously. He allows the game to enter my home as entertainment, fun, and lastly, almost, as an athletic challenge. Welcome to the 2005 football season. Chris, my love, I’ll always wait up for ya.

Comments

Popular Posts