Self-Conscious

I was reading a story to Kindergartners the other day. A very cute story about a fish, when a little boy sitting on the floor in front of me interrupted me to say, "What is that brown stuff on you?"

I tried to ignore him and kept on reading.

"Miss Jane? What is that brown stuff all over you?"

Maybe it was the all over part that got me, but I grew concerned. And tried to figure out how I could see my reflection in a room without mirrors. The little fish in our story was going to have to wait. This matter needed clearing up and quickly.

"What stuff?" I asked nervously, looking at my shirt and capri's for any sign of something amiss.

"THAT stuff" he replied, pointing at me.

I gave him a very questioning, concerned look at which point he stood up and touched my arm.

"Oh, that. Those are FRECKLES."

Apparently learning about freckles is not a part of Kindergarten curriculum.

Comments

Jennifer said…
That is hilarious!!! So glad it was just the freckles and nothing more :)
Katrina said…
Hilarious! It's so funny how kids see the world and articulate what they see. I was visiting a friend in the hospital recently and one of the other visitors, a woman, had a really deep voice. Caleb (5) asked her, "Why do you talk like a boy?" I wanted to drop through the floor! She totally didn't mind, though, and explained to him that her vocal cords had been damaged. I just kept quiet; it's nearly impossible to curb that natural curiosity!
stacy said…
those aren't freckles...they are beauty marks! some people are just more beautiful than others! amy, you are gorgeous!!! :o)

Popular Posts