Narnia - C.S. Lewis

I haven't finished the whole series yet, but I just wanted to mention (since I try to do book reviews on the books I've finished) that I'm currently entrenched in the Narnia series. I had never read any of the books until I was newly married and visiting my in-laws in England. My sister-in-law (then about 11 years old) had a mural on her bathroom wall from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Only I didn't know what it was. She was simply aghast that I hadn't read it and immediately forced her book upon me. I read it, but talking animals and fantasy just really isn't me.

But when the movie came out a few years ago, I was geeked. LM and I had read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and I was eager for him to see this amazing technological movie. We both loved it. And I have grown to love how beautifully C.S. Lewis captured the Christian story and tucked it into a captivating children's story.

Now, with Prince Caspian in theaters, I realized I had never read any of the OTHER books in the series. So I have taken it upon myself to read them all. I have thus far read book #1, The Magician's Nephew, then I skipped over TLTWandTW (cause I've read it) although I'm going back to that one because they keep referring to things I don't remember. But then I read #3, A Horse and His Boy and then #4, Prince Caspian.

As of yet, I'm still unemployed for my summer, so I should have the whole series finished by say, Tuesday (I'm done subbing on Monday). I'll keep you posted.

As far as book reviews go, I cannot say enough about this series. Maybe you're like me and you don't go for talking animals and science fiction, but this book series is still a wonderful way to present the Christian message.

Comments

Hillary said…
I read through the series recently, and I loved it, too. It wasn't fast-paced or action-packed (though there were definitely moments!) but I loved the leisurely stroll through a good story with excellent writing. And as far as the allegorical nature of it - it sent me to tears more than once, as he managed to capture the simplicity and the beauty of the Christian story so, so well.

Woah. Look at me, all lil-miss reviewer. Um, didn't mean to do that, but I guess I did! Enjoy the rest of the series! :)
~**Dawn**~ said…
I read this series as a kid & then again as an adult. I loved it the first time I read it, but I was stunned when I read it as an adult & saw all the imagery I missed when I was younger!

Popular Posts