Rant

I haven't written a complaint blog in awhile, but I have some things to say.

First of all, it has occured to me that we have excused ourselves as parents of raising dignified young ladies who know what it means to act like one when we have attached shorts under skirts and allowed them to be worn to Kindergarten. While I can appreciate the desire to not have our children's underwear on display for all the world (or class) to see, at what point did we abandon the idea that there was a proper way to behave (sit) when wearing a skirt, and certainly a limit to the places in our life where such attire is appropriate. If we allowed our daughters to wear skirts only to church until they demonstrated a true understanding of what it means to be a lady in a skirt, then perhaps we could allow them to wear them to more everyday places where they might have to amend their behavior accordingly.

That said, I know my sister is screaming at her computer at the moment and thinks this was a direct comment aimed at her. It's not, not at all, Jules. I've just seen far too many skorts on the playground, and far too many young girls sitting cross-legged on the floor in a skirt, and far too many young ladies prance around like they were in jeans when they are not. Just as I try to teach my son to hold open doors, give up his seat and to thank the person who made a meal for his supper, I hope that there is similar consideration being given to the generation of daughters that we are raising. Ultimately, I hope my son is to marry one of them. And I hope she knows from an early age how to act like a lady and to dress appropriately.


Secondly and perhaps more vehemently, I am greatly disturbed at the proclamations our children are making emblazoned on their t-shirts. Have we really, as parents, not seen past the intended humor long enough to realize that if we are truly finding these statements funny (and accurate) enough to plaster them on t-shirts and adorn our children with them that something is seriously wrong with our parenting? At what point is "Parents for Sale: Buy one get one free" actually funny? Or "You can't make me do chores if you can't find me" funny (even if it's in camo?) How about, "I'm a princess", which seems innocuous enough but really, are we trying to raise self-centered daughters? How about "Hear no sister, see no sister, speak to no sister"? Or "I'm not listening." Everyday I see children walking around with these shirts and I wonder at what point will we start to understand where it all went wrong? Will we ever see that in simple and small ways we have been not only allowing but actually laughing at all the bad habits and qualities we don't want to instill in our children?

Thirdly, I hate when people start a list and don't have a third item. But I really don't have a third item. I just had to vent about the other two things to get it off my chest. And I know some of you out there *cough* Jules *cough* are shaking your head at me and calling me a fanatic and someone who has taken things a little too far, you can chalk up these issues alongside my strong opposition to Halloween and Santa Claus (and yes, I do boycott both). The truth of the matter is, I'm okay with that.

Comments

Katrina said…
I am irritated by those t-shirts, too. I remember being a pre-teen and teenager, and trust me, I developed plenty of attitude problems on my own without having them tacitly endorsed by my own parents. My other complaint is how hard it is to find clothes for my nine year old daughter that don't look...well, hoochie. Is it too much to ask that the shirt and pants actually meet in the middle? And where can I find jeans that actually come up to her waist?

Right there with ya. :)
Jennifer said…
I'm right beside Katrina! I'm already having issues with finding modest clothing for my 5 year old - 5 YEARS OLD!!! She does have a shirt that says "Princess", though the only reason I picked it up was due to the fact that it only cost me $2.88 and was white & pink, which are her favorite colors :) Other than that, I can honestly say that my kiddos do not wear t-shirts emblazoned with statements that would get them grounded if they were to verbalize them!
SlushTurtle said…
I had to put a name tag on a little girl's booty Sunday when I was working the check in. Why her booty? Because it was a halter sundress that barely covered her front (with not spot big enough for a name tag), and it was also a backless dress. She was three. Yikes!
Anonymous said…
Thanks to the other Mom's who have the same trouble. It's impossible to dress a "young lady" these days and have them look like that when you are done. Try as I might I cannot get it through my child's head that you have to sit lady like in a skirt, let alone a skort, but at least in those two items I'm rarely looking at too much of her backside as I do in modern day jeans. Don't even get me started on the SHOES!!! Jules
jenny said…
See, now as a mom of a seven year old girl? I love the skort. Otherwise she'd rarely wear skirts - between recess and her crazy ways she'd be giving everyone a show half of the time.

I have to agree with you, somewhat, on the t-shirts - the anti-sibling ones just reinforce what I'm already struggling with. No thanks.
mamatutwo said…
Boy, do I agree with you! As a mom of two girls (one almost twelve years old and on the brink of teendom), I feel like the weird one. Of course, she's not going to wear those shirts! (My boyfriend is out of town...The world revolves around me, etc, etc.) May I go on to say that I am also the weird one for not letting my children watch Hannah Montana and all of those other shows (some cartoons included, like Sponge Bob) because they either teach children to treat others as insignificant and then make it seem okay or they are just too darn mature. My 12 year old is not going to be dating any time soon, thank you, and she certainly doesn't need to be taught by these shows how to "hook up" or anything of the like. I know. I'm weird. My daughter is the only 12 year old in her school who has not seen High School Musical 2. (Just too mature...) I know. I'm weird.

Sorry, I had to rant.

Popular Posts