Do Hard Things - Harris and Harris

I've been searching.

For a way to awaken my son to a Christ-centered life. I recognize I'm not the strongest example; I'm still working it out for myself. But I wanted to do everything that I could to challenge him, motivate him, teach him, encourage him and raise him with a heart for God. I've been battling with the best way to get a pre-teen to do devotions; I've experimented around with our prayer time; I've bought him a new Bible, taken him to church, gotten him involved with youth group. But somehow, I felt it was all lacking the punch.

Leave it to Stacy.

God planted Stacy in my life years ago as a spiritual compass. I know she would argue against being thought of as such, but she truly has been for me. When I've had questions, she's had answers, or suggestions. When I've questioned my journey, she's been encouraging and faithful, leading me down a path God would be most pleased with. This time, all she had to do was recommend a book.

But oh, what a book.

It's not like any other. It was such an obvious and clear answer to prayer. Here it was in black and white. All my questions on how to challenge my son and motivate him and to encourage him to truly give his life (and not just his Sundays and Wednesday evenings) to God.

Alex and Brett Harris put together not just a book, but two lives (and I'm certain their whole family is the same way) that is all about living for God. The most amazing part, and the part that most directly answers my prayers is that they are TEENAGERS. This book was such a challenge to me in my own walk with God, but it speaks directly to teenagers (and pre-teens) and challenges them to take their energy, their spirit, their fearlessness and to put it all to work for God. In ways we would never expect out of teenagers. It challenges the notion head-on that teenagers are worthless, rebellious, and useless.

This book is the very first assignment LM has on his summer reading list. I hope that it's message will permeate through the rest of his life starting with the day he opens it up. I hope to have his reaction to the novel in many forms, but I hope, more than anything to have a teenager on my hands who cannot do enough for his Lord.

Comments

Popular Posts