Back to Square One

By saying "flexible am/pm/weekend schedule" my new boss meant I'll be working every single Sunday from 8am-6pm or I am out of a job. We've had a difficult start to the new job trying to reach a compromise when only one of us (me) is compromising. As it currently stands, I've agreed to work her mandated Sunday schedule in order to keep my job. She reluctantly allowed me to do even that as she was ready to shake hands and go our separate ways more than once since this discrepancy arose. I've offered to work every Sunday from 2-6, I've offered to work every Saturday whatever hours she wants, I've offered to work any evening hours, alternating Sundays, but none of that was acceptable to her.

So, it's safe to say that resumes are back out, I've re-inquired about jobs I had interviewed for before accepting this one and I'm trying to remain optimistic that something better is going to come up that will allow me to still attend church on a regular basis.

It is most interesting, isn't it, that all of this conflict has arisen during employment by a company with the word "Christian" in its name.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh no, Amy! I am so sorry. Working the "flexible am/pm/weekend schedule" is hard enough as it is...
Hillary said…
Oh man. These guys are CHristian employers? (or is it just in their name?)

Actually, the job where I was most taken advantage of and treated the poorest was for a Christian employer. What's with that?

Hope the search is quick and productive! :)
jenny said…
oh,ho. I worked for this organization too. They accused me of stealing (?!?!?!) and took a job offer off the table and then apologized and reoffered it because they rechecked the accounting and found it all above board - that's when I quit.

And when assigning scholarship monies for low income kids to attend day camp I was told to ignore the sliding scale I was supposed to use and make 50% the maximum available. All the while they are touting their 'no one is denied use based on their inability to pay' line while they were fundraising.

The Christian is still in the name because Money Grubbing just doesn't get people to open up their wallets.

/end rant.
Jen said…
I'm sorry, Amy. I was really hoping for the best for you. You're in my prayers.
Anonymous said…
Hey. . .you must have a computer back. I'm thinking about you today. . .keep us posted tonight!

Jules
Anonymous said…
I was away on vacation and came back to check in on you...doesn't look like it is going that well. Maybe it will get better!

Sometimes it is the people we least expect that make life hard, but it is the people you least expect that make life a little easier by the same token.

-Newlywifed
jessi said…
Lame! So sorry that this job's been a disappointment!

But you totally passed your "Chariots of Fire" test!
Jennifer said…
What a bummer! I've been checking your blog everyday in hopes of happy reports, so finding a crumby one is a bit of a let-down. I'm so sorry; sounds like you left one rough situation for another!!! Chin up girl-friend. God's got it under control :)
Jules said…
They can't do that! That's horrible! I am so sorry, Amy. How can they not let you go to church? I can't understand anyone getting treated like that.
Sarah Louise said…
CRAP CRAP CRAP.

I was hoping like others to find a glowing first day at new job post. You are in my thoughts/prayers.
Lisa said…
That's horrible! I'm so sorry this is happening, but stick to your guns. I know there is a great job for you out there.

Popular Posts