T.G.I.F.

I woke this morning with a vague suspicion the day would be dreadful until I realized it is FRIDAY!! How can a Friday be bad?! If I can survive through 6 hours of work (I know, I’m one of those lucky ones) it’ll be the weekend!

After a shower and usual morning readiness routine, I joined LM in the kitchen while he ate breakfast. He was not much for conversation, he was engrossed in a book. I put several plants out on the deck knowing a good hard rain is coming this afternoon. I know they would appreciate the soaking. Usual morning chores done, we headed out the door to school. Jacob read during the drive and while we waited for the first bell to ring. There is a simple joy as a parent knowing that your child is an avid reader.

As I sat waiting outside of the school I noticed a dad walking his young daughter back home. He was carrying her “purse” that she must have wanted along for the walk. At one point, she ran off into the field of grass to chase a squirrel. He didn’t utter a word, didn’t shout for her to get back over there, just let her go and watched her run back over to him, sharing her disappointment when she was unable to snatch up the rodent. As I pulled away after the bell, I saw them again, but by now, two blocks from school, the dad had put the little girl in her pink skirt up on his shoulders for the rest of the walk. It was so cute, so touching, just such a simple joy to me.
Turned on the radio a block further to hear “Sweet Child O’ Mine”. Man, that’s the way to start the day! Turned it up like I was back in high school and sang along with all the lyrics. Followed a hot guy on a Harley for several miles. Gas tank is ¾ full, even so, I noticed gas prices had dropped again. Down to $2.77. A little smile there.

Halfway to work I pass a mortgage broker who proclaims the latest interest rates on their marquee. I bought my condo two years ago and had to really scrape to get into it. Despite not having quite as much saved up front as I had initially wanted, I wanted to get in while the rates were so low. Over the last two years, they haven’t really increased much and while I’m delighted to have my rate, I’d love to start feeling like I got a bargain and it was worth the struggle. Today, when I passed the sign, it was the first time in 2 years that rates were up over a half percent over what I’m paying. Ahhh…now we’re talking!

I got to thinking about the conversation I had with my sister last night. They had to put their dog down over the summer (from old age) and just now started to think about a new puppy for their home. They went last night to look at a puppy (when you take the kids along, this means THAT PUPPY IS NOW YOURS.) They have to wait a week to bring it home, but they picked out a black Chow. (They had a Chow before, too.) I spoke with my nephew (whom I call “George” although that’s not his name, but that’s a story for another blog) and tried my best to get him all excited about a really stupid name for the dog just to give my sister a hard time. I tried to talk him into naming the dog “Yellow” but he didn’t like that. He thought maybe “Orange” would work, though. Through my giggles, I tried to tell my sister and she informed me that George had already named the puppy before he ever saw it. He wanted to name it “Buttercup”. Great name for a black male Chow Chow, don’t you think?!

About five miles from work I flipped radio stations (a habit I have) and found “Footloose”. You can’t flip from there! Had to sing along, remember the movie, remember Kevin Bacon…”You’ve got to turn me around and put your feet on the ground, now take ahold of your soul…….”
Arriving at work I realized there had been an early meeting. A good thing for two reasons. One: I didn’t have to be at it. Two: There are leftover bagels.

I have one major task to complete every Friday at work. Once that is done I can kick back and do whatever else is on my desk or nothing at all if I prefer. Today might be one of those “nothing at all” days.

Saturday night is another great movie night with Jacob. I can’t wait! I never knew I could love a human being as much as I love this kid.

Happy Friday everyone!

“Everybody cut, everybody cut! Everybody cut, everybody cut! Everybody cut, Everybody cut! Everybody, everybody cut footloose!!”

Comments

Popular Posts