Eight

He pulled out his homework the moment he got to the house.  "You don't have to do that today, you know."  

"I know."

And he proceeded to do it anyway.  He showed me his classroom newsletter, his Spirit Wear order form and then put them back in his backpack.  I signed his finished homework and he put that away, too.

We had nachos for dinner.  His choice.  And ice cream later for a snack.  He watched Iron Man in the living room with LM and would wander into my bedroom to tell me parts of the movie from time to time.  "Is it over already?" I asked.  

"No.  I just wanted to come see what you were doing."

Asleep around 10, snuggled up on the couch, the dog and the cat both watched over him.

I woke around 6 with a knock on my door.  He had a bloody nose.  He came and laid on my bed and we talked for awhile while we waited for it to stop.  When he left, I heard him sneeze out in the hallway and he peeked his dimpled face back in my door and said, "it started again" and we both laughed.  

This time he came and snuggled under the covers beside me.  I watched him sleep for awhie and then tiptoed out of the room so he could rest.  

I'm not sure at all how eight years have come and gone so quickly, but I will treasure the simple joy of making sweet birthday morning memories together.  

Happy Birthday my sweet little nephew, George.  A Happy Birthday indeed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for all of the help in making his day special. . .he cried tonight when he had to go to bed - as "how can it be over so quickly"? He had so much fun for an enitre weekend that he wasn't ready for it to be over. I'm glad you were here and not 12 hours away. . even though I know that you miss being there sometimes!

Popular Posts