How It's Done

For as long as I can remember I've mailed Christmas cards out on December 1st. I almost always have all my shopping done by the first week of December as well, although I'll admit, I often pick up little things throughout the month just for fun (and to completely blow the budget).

For the past two years, however, I've been a little pre-occupied with NaNoWriMo in the month of November to focus any creative energy towards the ol' Christmas card, and frankly, starting such a holiday task in October is just a little too much for me.

Similar to last year, I started to panic during the last week of November. How on earth was I not only going to write the last 10,000 words for NaNo, but also complete a somewhat witty, fairly informative Christmas letter, too?

The solution: write the letter while stuck in the car going back and forth to Ohio!

LM took notes while I spewed clever ideas and phrases and helped me to work it into an organized format. I actually wish you could see his version of the letter, it's really cute in its own right.

As of Thursday, November 29th, when my NaNo novel was complete I had only LM's notes on the letter and nothing more. Friday evening after a church event, I spent about an hour formatting and getting the cover design ready (by ready I mean downloaded). Saturday morning I put it all together, addressed and stamped envelopes and with LM's help, printed out the cards and a photo to go inside.

Once again, my cards are out on time. Even more shocking to me, however, was that after being placed in the mail Saturday at noon, cards have already arrived in Eastern PA today (Tuesday).

Happy Holidays!

Comments

Mig said…
Yes and it is so CREATIVE.

I think I'm jealous. Oh wait, I AM JEALOUS.

You both did an excellent job and what a cutie LM is. :-)
Anonymous said…
I'm impressed! Happy Holidays to you, too! XOXOXO
Jennifer said…
I haven't done our Christmas cards yet because I'm waiting to take a picture of the kids in front of the Christmas tree that hasn't been completely decorated yet (it's set-up and lighted, but no ornaments). Our Decembers are absolutely crazy with 2 birthdays thrown into the mix, and this years seems to be kicking my butt - I haven't even planned birthday parties for the kids and they aren't very forgiving of me right now! So, we'll see if I manage to get a decent letter composed on the cute Christmas paper I bought about 2 months ago, prior to January 1st. And, don't even get me started on the Christmas shopping...I thought I was doing really well until I sat down in my closet to go through the bags & boxes of hidden gifts and stocking stuffers, only to find out that I have a whole lot of shopping to do still! Thank God I still have 19 shopping days left :)

Congratulations :)
RosieBoo said…
Wow, I'm impressed! I barely get Christmas cards out. And, I don't have a novel in progress to take the blame. :)

Popular Posts