Ugh - Updated

I don't know what goes so terribly wrong whenever I go to get my haircut anymore. I only go once every six months, and either get highlights in or try to get them taken out, depending on the season. The last couple of times that I have gone, I've had to argue my case that I really AM a redhead (they think I'm either a dirty blonde or a brunette depending).

This time I spent quite a bit of time explaining EXACTLY what I wanted.

Came out all wrong.

Thought I could live with it, but today I went back and said, no, this has to get fixed. It was way too light as they overdid the highlights and did them so thin they didn't look like highlights, just looked like I was a dirty blonde again. Tonight, in an effort to fix the matter, I took pictures of EXACTLY what I wanted, so that my own words might not somehow misrepresent the effect I was aiming for. And yet, I somehow came out a brunette. And a very fake looking one at that. There's some reddish tint to it all, but just enough to make you 100% certain that I color my hair and not that I was ever actually a redhead. Oh, and the highlights? Barely noticeable.

Ugh.

I think I'll just learn to do it myself. Seriously. I do not know how I could pay so incredibly much to have it come out so incredibly wrong. I would go back a third time, but they had told me that it was good that the first mistake was too light, because that is fixable, but too dark really isn't. Well, now I'm stuck with 'too dark'.

I'd show you pictures, but I'm still hoping I wake up in the morning and it's all just a terrible nightmare.


*UPDATE*
I called. I went back. They did some sort of a bleach/treatment to lighten it up. I'm back into the 'redhead' category. It's a little more coppery than it has been in years, but it's FAR closer to being along the lines of my natural color and at least isn't in the 'burgundy' color range any more. I'll be conditioning it for years to come, but at least it isn't repulsive. As for the stylist, this WAS a new one. I think it is safe to say that I will be highlight-less for the rest of my life.

Comments

Jennifer said…
Amy, you should do what I do and just get your highlights done once every 18 months or so! It's been over a year since I had my hair highlighted and it's already back to it's original, boring brown. I swear, whenever DO get my hair done, it's so drastic a change that it takes a week or so to get used to it. The kids always comment on how different I look too! It's not that I don't TRY to get back more often, it's just that it never works out for it to happen!

Hope you get used to the new you :)
jenny said…
Aye-yi-yi.

There is little worse than a crummy cut or color. Maybe it'll grow on you...maybe?


Time to buy a pink Patriots hat. All those contract talks have me missing football.
Mig said…
I think you need to find a new place. I'm pretty sure there are hairdressers that can actually do what you want.

You should have to settle, you are the customer.

(oh and doing it yourself isn't a bad idea either)
Sarah Louise said…
What everyone else said. Except instead of a pink Patriot's hat, you should get a black Steeler's hat. 5 Superbowls, baby! (Right, we're talking about hair here.)

I would definately try another place or try it at home. I have a great hairstylist...wait, you'd have to drive a lot of hours to get here...
Jules said…
Yup, time for a new stylist. There is absolutely NO reason they should have screwed it up twice! How awful for you. I bet it looks good, though, even though it's not what you wanted.
Anonymous said…
I am a once natural blonde and get my hair colored/highlighted every 5 - 6 weeks. Granted, I have short hair and it needs to be cut by then and then the roots are noticable. Who wants grey hair at 34? Not.Me.

Anyway, my advice is to find a hairdresser that is a red head. Or at least has a shade of hair that you like. This may sound completely crazy, but I like my blonde hair to look more bright and NOT GOLDEN. I have had a golden blonde color my hair before and it always comes out golden hair...which, is not the color I want.

I am not sure if this will work for you but it has worked wonderfully for me for years....Good luck.

Popular Posts