Elementary School Fundraising 101

Each school year, Little Bird's and George's school hosts a fund-raiser that involves sending an invitation to all your friends and relatives to purchase magazine subscriptions. The kids receive a prize for submitting a certain number of addresses and those of us submitted are all instructed to simply ignore the invitations and to feel no pressure whatsoever to actually make a purchase.

My brother, G, and I both received our annual magazine subscription invitations in the mail this week. Mine went directly into the trash without so much as a second glance. G, on the other hand, took the time once again to look over the list of potential magazines that he might chooose to subscribe to and commented assuredly, "if only they offered Hustler and Playboy, this school might make a buck on this fundraiser!"

As much as I laughed it off as a bit of humor from my normally (mostly) morally upstanding brother, he might actually have a point. This fundraiser is from the same school district that offers "Donkey Basketball" as a money-maker. Offering more hicksville-friendly magazines might not be a bad idea.


* What? You've never heard of Donkey Basketball?! Oh, be relieved!! It means you live in a domesticated town!! My sister's school district invites in a travelling company that has donkeys that they ride while playing basketball. Seriously. I believe the seniors and the faculty actually compete in the game, but at half time your children can also have a ride!! Note: When they took the family this year (as all good parents in Hicksville, U.S.A. would to support their schools so their children have actual pencils to use and not a piece of coal from the stove) George said he only wanted to go so he could see a donkey poop on the gymnasium floor. 30 seconds into the game, George got his wish and the family got to go home early!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think I should copyright this idea and make some money off of it. What do you think?

-G
Jules said…
Wow, I've never heard of that. If it was more popular, animal rights people would be all over it...
Katrina said…
Donkey basketball? For real? LOL...I might actually go see that if it ever came here.

Katie's school fundraisers seem to get more elaborate and expensive every year. I'm ashamed to say that we don't really participate, unless it's to buy something ourselves. With all the fundraising that goes on among our friends' kids, I feel funny putting one more order sheet out in circulation.

I think after a childhood of selling girl scout cookies and a large chunk of adulthood selling clothes, my selling oomph is completely used up.
Anonymous said…
Believe it or not. . it's popular here! It's Michigan. . animal rights are not very popular in a state known for hunting! LOL Trust me, if you saw it you'd feel more sorry for all of the people that fell off thier donkey's. . numerous times!! Amy's Sis - Jules

Popular Posts