Gilead - Robinson

I read "Gilead" in two days' time. But that is not as it should be. It is a book that should be read in the style that it is written, as letters written, thought over and reread.

"Gilead" is a story about fatherhood in every sense of the word, from blood relation, to children we assume for various reasons, to a pastor's leadership over his congregation to the relationship we have with God our Father. In letters written from an elderly, dying, Pastor John Ames to his young, innocent son, we learn of the challenges and joys that entail the father-son relationship along all these lines.

I found "Gilead" initially to be a difficult rhythm to read to. As the book progressed and I was able to read the stream-of-consciousness letters with the same breathing as they were perhaps written (by the character), I was able to better follow the thoughts, the tangents, the dialogue within himself that John Ames presents to us here.

I will admit, there were profound Scriptural concepts presented with such banality that their words nearly slipped through my mind without a challenging thought. In truth, I could have spent hours pouring over many of the doctinal contexts.

In all, I think "Gilead" is not a one-sitting read. It's a book to savor and reread. It is one who's message will continue to grow and evolve as I do; a book who will speak to me differently as I age. I am not sure, however, that my first reading has left me with enough desire that I will choose to pick it up again at a later date.

Comments

Sarah Louise said…
I have read it once, listened to the audiobook at least twice. It wears well on the second experience b/c you know the details. (in my humble opinion.) I may have said this before, but this is the most important book I've read in 20 years.

Popular Posts