According to My Brother, G...

“…I was walking out the door of the liquor store when he walked in. Jeans, hoodie sweatshirt pulled up on his head, it said something on the front but I don’t recall now. I was nearing my truck when I heard her scream. The cashier, I mean. I think the whole world heard her scream. I turned around, dropping the bottle of Jack and saw the hoodie guy inside the store with a gun pointed at the cashier. I froze. No one else was in the parking lot, although it wasn’t out of the question for someone to pull in at any moment. It wasn’t yet midnight. I grabbed my cell phone and dialed 911. Still standing outside the store, I quickly told the dispatcher that there was a holdup at the liquor mart on route 5 and tried to give a description of the hoodie guy. As I spoke, the cashier was pulling cash out of the register as fast as she could but hoodie guy seemed impatient. He had the gun in her face and kept screaming at her to stop screaming. I saw him turn towards the window, spotting me in the parking lot with a phone to my ear. I spun around and hit the ground hoping he didn’t come out in pursuit. I waited what seemed like several long moments, debating whether to make a break for the truck or for the woods behind the building, knowing he would emerge from the building momentarily and catch me there. I decided my truck was closer. I grabbed my cell phone from amongst the broken glass and spilled whiskey on the ground, the dispatcher still talking on the other end and made a dash for the truck. I heard two quick popping sounds as I jumped into the side closest to me, the passenger side. It wasn’t until I was in the truck that I realized I had been shot. I don’t remember much of anything for awhile until later, as they loaded me into the ambulance I heard one of the EMT guys say, “one went clear through, the other bullet is stuck in the bone.”

Okay, so he wasn’t really shot. But G and I both think a bullet story sounds like a better explanation for the three holes in his shoulder than the surgery he had yesterday to repair torn ligaments and remove a cyst. Everyone needs a good scar story!

(Yes, G is doing just fine. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers!)

Comments

jenny said…
hohohoho.

you two clowns.

are so NOT funny! :)

You had me hook, line and sinker!
Katrina said…
Wow, can you tell a story! My heart was totally racing as I read fast to see how it turned out!

You got me good!

But that is an excellent scar story. Obviously, it's believable! LOL!

(p.s. Your comment on my blog just about made me cry--thank you for sharing, and reading.)
Sarah Louise said…
Ha ha. You had me going too. Are you polishing your fiction skills for next November??
Jules said…
Oh, wow. My heart skipped a little when you got to the "got shot" part. Whew! Thank goodness it's only a story!
Amy A. said…
Hmm.. I'm not sure how I feel about being duped. I was really getting my heart rate up there.

Glad he's okay.

You need to write a book! Too much time to fictionalize real life.

:)
Anonymous said…
OMG! i kept thinking, what is he doing at the liquor store? shouldn't he be home recovering from surgery? LOL! you really got me on this one!
stacy
Jennifer said…
Ok, so the first thing that ran through my mind (sadly) was "I can't believe their liquor stores are open past 9PM!". But, as I read, I started feeling guilt for thinking that. Then you got to the shooting and I was totally terrified! Thanks for getting my morning off to a great start :) I've already experienced the full gammut of emotions and it's not even 9:30 yet....
Anonymous said…
For the record: I did fictionalize a story, but it had a woman in distress and me taking a bullet for her. Nice touch on your story A, but I would have rather been the hero! You did give me an idea though. Time for a Jack and Jack.......and maybe a little coke.

-G
~ej said…
better the surgery than the bullet, but great story :-)
Anonymous said…
i keep waiting for you to say, i'm really not kidding!
Wendy said…
OMG! You had me! My mouth was ON THE GROUND as I read this ... and at the end I thought "oh man!! how could she?!" LOL! Glad all is well.
Jen said…
You had me at hoodie sweatshirt! Great post (but I'm glad it was made up). Can you make up a story about my c-section scar?!? :)

Popular Posts