Mom's Secret Ingredient

It was another rough day to be a nine year old yesterday. Over dinner, LM told me his “lows” which included Daniel and Andrew trying to steal the “good stuff” from his lunch. They wanted his Swedish fish and his Sun Chips (can you tell Dad packed his lunch?) They got one fish and gave it to Courtney who promptly and without remorse, ate it. He was devastated. We talked about his options. It turns out they have assigned seats for lunch, so he can’t just move. We talked about quietly and privately approaching his teacher and explaining that these two kids do this everyday and ask to be moved to a different seat in the lunchroom. He thought that might be a good idea. We also talked about how as long as he gets angry and worked up over it, it gives the kids exactly the reaction they are looking for and that will only egg them on further. He seemed to understand that and agreed that just trying to bear it quietly might be a good option, if he couldn’t get moved.

This morning, as I was making his sandwich, I asked what else he wanted in his lunch. We put in a hardboiled egg, a Clementine, applesauce, string cheese and he suggested two mini-3-Muskateer bars. Then he said, “No, Mom, don’t. The boys will just try to take them” and ended the sentence with such a long, forlorn sigh it broke my heart.

I said, “Oh no they won’t! Here’s what we’re going to do. I’m going to put them in the outside pocket of your lunchbox, so that only when you are ready for them will anyone know you have them. At that point, take one out, open it and LICK IT! I guarantee the boys won’t want it anymore.”

“GREAT IDEA, Mom!!”

See, parenting isn’t so hard after all! Maybe, being nine isn’t so bad, either.

Comments

Newlywife said…
I was going to suggest the licking option as well...LM just needs to get more diabolical!

God, don't you just wish you could go back to being 9 knowing then what you know now...it would save alot of needless heartache.
Katrina said…
Great solution, Mom! You are such a creative parent--I would probably have worked myself up into a tizzy over this and never thought of a practical answer.

*files idea away in her parenting file*
Amy said…
Fig,

4) My son's father is gay (you obviously don't really read this blog) and thus it's a rather sensitive issue to all of us, including my son to have people use the word "gay" around him. Especially inappropriately. And I don't think any of us are "getting a chuckle out of it".
Wendy said…
Oh my ....... (Fig)

As for the post - you handled it perfectly!!! I love the licked candy bit! I hate that kids bully other kids. My daughter is going through a little similar thing where no one gives her the ball in gym. Members of her own team keep the ball away from her. She's pretty upset. It's so hard sometimes .... and her face breaks my heart.
Newlywife said…
Since you seem so good with the advice for LM, thought I would run this one by you:

At work, all the other associates are pawning off the cases where we represent someone who doesn't speak English on me. It isn't fair. I don't mind a case or two, and certainly understand that we are a "melting pot" but obviously the language barrier creates hours of extra work on my part. They do this under the guise of "you are good at handling them"...what should I do? The other associates are not being fair! I don't want to seem insensitive, but I don't want to have to do all this extra work either!

What can I say? (I've thought about licking one of the clients, but I think it would be a bad career move).
Emily said…
That is such a sweet story. In a gross, 9-year-old boy kind of way. :)

I would somehow find a way to taint the food he knows will be stolen. Teach those little bastards a lesson.

...see, this is why I'm not ready to have kids yet. I call them little bastards. Shame on me.

Popular Posts