The Very Definition of Stupid

If you haven’t seen the article, it’s worth a read, just to remind yourself of how unbelievably dumb some people are. A man faked his own death to avoid paying child support. He had two children and owed $4,120. He escaped from work detail after serving a year in jail for not paying the $4K. He had a family member call authorities and report him DEAD after a bar fight in Alabama.

Here’s where it gets good – for the next 20 years, he lived 150 miles from home, in Myrtle Beach, using his OWN name. He’s been married twice since his disappearance (twice before that) and now has a third child.

One of his ex’s reported him alive and well and he was caught and fingerprinted to prove his identity. He now owes more than $30,000 in child support and will face escape charges to boot.

So, by stupid, I certainly could refer to this man. I mean, that’s just not the brightest plan, but he did get away with it for 20 years.

But seriously, the definition of stupid seems to me to be the local authorities. Did you see a body? Did you have evidence of him actually being dead, or did you just take this anonymous phone call as certain proof? He was technically an escapee! And he moved just 150 miles away and was using his own name. I see how that might be tricky for investigators to catch up with him. Yes indeed, that might warrant an FBI profiler to come in and assist.

Lessons learned: apparently you CAN call in dead. And it DOES work – or will for a number of years. And you don’t even have to change your name or get plastic surgery to avoid capture. Just move a couple hours away is all. But look out for all your ex’s. When you have four of them, one of them might just see you and report you.

Comments

Katrina said…
UN-believable! (However, I wonder if I could somehow twist this insane plan into a way to deal with my student loans...I'd be sure to move at least two hundred miles away and keep my current husband, thereby avoiding the ex-spouse-whistle-blower pitfall. Hmmm....)
Newlywife said…
If the student loan thing works out, I would be interested to here the details!

As for this Jackass, I can't believe he got away with it for 20 years and all he owes is $30K...
Emily said…
That is HILARIOUS! I am dying to call in dead tomorrow. :)

Popular Posts