Even Though He Didn't Cook

He's across from me at the coffee table.  Crab cakes, wild rice and spinach salad between us.  

He's laughing.  He's telling me his high of the day.  He's telling me about his dear friend and the funny thing he said today.  He's smiling and asking me what we're going to do in my classroom on Friday when he is off of school but I'm not.  He's funny.  He's witty.  He's clever.


My boy returned tonight.


I'm not sure where he's been, but it's been a long time since we had moments like these.


I'm going to treasure tonight.  It's been a hard road these last many days.  So hard between us that I'm crying just sitting here, enjoying his smile.  

And to think, he's only a PRE-teen.

Comments

Katrina said…
What a sweet moment. I pray that you may find many more of these, like oases in the desert of the teen years, promises of lakes and oceans ahead.

Popular Posts