Not Sure What to Hope For

We went back and checked the blog. Our "Keeper of All Things Important" it would seem. It was exactly 30 days that we waited last year for the SAT results. It has been 26 so far.

I'll be honest, I don't know what I'm hoping for. Of course I hope Flash did well. But am I hoping he scored high enough to now qualify for gifted math on top of the English? I'm not sure.

We're in week 23 of gifted English and ooooh, I'd say about 35 of those 23 weeks have been miserable. Does he want out? No. Does his teacher think he can do it? Without question. But we're still struggling to develop the maturity to work on projects with little guidance; to work hard on essays we have no interest in writing at all, and to revisit, edit and in some cases completely start over when our attempts are unsuccessful. It's been a challenge.

But there is little alternative if I'm honest. The English program is high school level courses. Which means if he fails or drops out (or opts out next year) as an 8th grader, he has no course options for THREE more years. So he'll get a study hall. Same with the math. Flash is in 8th grade math as a 7th grader this year. If he doesn't get the scores necessary to qualify, or if I decided enough is enough and don't put him in the classes, he will have another study hall instead of math next year. The one thing my child does NOT need is more time on his own and LESS time being challenged.

But this challenge? Has really taken its toll on us as a family. Our evenings and weekends are consumed with assignments, arguments, learning how to outline, manage time, edit.... Ugh.

As we near the scores' arrival I am nervous. I am unsure of the path we need to be taking. I am unsure of when to push and when to say he's just not mature enough to handle the load yet. He is, afterall, not even 13 yet.

It's times like these when I'll gladly take the sleepless nights of a baby over the mental anguish of a preteen. Anyone want to trade?

Comments

Mig said…
Hello?
Willing to trade here.
For bossy, demanding, whiny, crying and unreasonable two year old.
Wait. I'm not making out in the deal am I?
:-)

Popular Posts