So Brave, Young and Handsome - Enger

Stacy allerted me to a new book by the author of Peace Like a River. I found it on the HotPicks list at our library and brought it home eager to dive in. Within a few days I set it back down again remarkably disappointed. Remembering Peace Like a River as a fantastic novel, I returned to the library to return So Brave and checked out Peace once again. Three days later, I am remember why I loved Peace so very much and wondering how on earth did Enger follow up a novel like this one with So Brave?

While I highly recommend Peace Like a River to anyone who hasn't read it, and even to those who have, trust me, it's as great the second and third time as the first, I equally suggest restraint for those rushing out to buy So Brave. Check it out of the library first. Save your money.

So Brave tells the story of a writer, who by strange circumstances ends up on a journey to Mexico with an outlaw of sorts. Neither character was profoundly interesting to me. Their partnership was a bizarre arrangement at best and I never felt compelled enough to understand the purpose of the journey to begin with. It was a slow moving tale the likes of which even the wonderful story telling voice of Enger could not redeem.

But again, even a lousy second novel cannot diminish the wonderful tale Enger created in Peace Like a River. I'm not sure when I sold and gave away my books how it slipped through the cracks as I don't own Peace any longer, but I'll cherish my days of borrowing it from the library.

I might even persuade LM to give it a read. I suspect he might enjoy it, too.

Comments

Sarah Louise said…
Thanks for the tip. Oh how I love Peace Like a River.
Hillary said…
Sorry for the generic comment...

I know either you read my blog at times and/or I really enjoy YOUR blog. I need to make my blog private for a time and possibly move to a new URL. If you are interested in continuing to read (even ocasionally, no commitment for daily reading required!) I want to invite you to my private blog.

If you'd like an invite, please go to my site via my name here in the comments and follow the directions.

Sorry to be such a pain. :P

Have a happy day!

PS. Anyone else who wants an invite is welcome, too.
stacy said…
oh, drat! my library has the book on order and i have a hold placed on it when it comes in. i guess i'll go ahead and check it out, but i am bummed that it doesn't live up expectations!
Katrina said…
That is so disappointing...I loved peace, too, and wish that the sequel lived up to its high standard. Still, I'll probably read it anyway (but thanks to you, I'll get it at the library instead of the bookstore!)

Popular Posts