Rock My World

I have a routine.

I come in to work, find there’s nothing to do and read the news online. I check my email accounts (both) and then hit up ESPN.com or CNN.com and read anything and everything that looks like it might be remotely of interest. After that I read through my bloglist. I realize not everyone posts at 7am EST, so I try to give it some time.

Reading through the bloglist lately I’ve begun to feel uncomfortable. The occurrences that are leading to my distress are happening more frequently and noticeably enough that today I paid attention and gave a name to the issue.

I live in a cave.

I don’t really live in a cave; I live in a condo, but work with me here. People blog about meeting someone “famous” and I have no idea who they are talking about. People blog about reading a book that’s “all the rage” and I’ve never heard of it. There are blogs about visiting places I don’t recognize, of songs and music by people unfamiliar to me, even links to news releases that talk about something that I can’t make sense of. What is going on?

And that’s when it hits me. I live in a cave. I listen to the same sort of music that I have listened to for the past ten years. I read the same sort of books that I have read my entire life. I read news clips that are only about things familiar to me. I don’t read trendy magazines, watch the evening news or late night talk shows and so I am behind the times on who is famous and who isn’t. The truth is, if it’s not football related, sung by Tim McGraw or peculiar enough to be in the headlines of msn.com I don’t know about it.

When I try to think of something new, something different, something out of the norm that I have done recently the only thing I can come up with is that a couple months ago I tried a mango for the first time. A MANGO. I know, crazy, isn’t it?! Sigh. I read about people experimenting with new recipes and I wonder why some people find cooking to be so difficult. I suddenly realized I don’t cook, I heat things up! BIG difference!! Does it really count as a home cooked dinner if I grill chicken on the George Foreman, serve it with a little BBQ sauce that came out of a jar, heat up some frozen green beans and cook some Uncle Ben’s quick serve rice?! I have so much to learn.

So, I’m challenging myself to peek my head out of my cave and have a look around. Help me out! What recipe do you simply love that might shake me up a little? What book have you recently read that challenged you? What music is on your ipod that you just can’t get enough of (and that maybe I haven’t heard of)? What world issue are you passionate about? What publication do you subscribe to that’s not sold on racks at the grocery store? What piece of art struck you at soul’s depth during your last visit to the museum?

Get me out from under this rock!!

Comments

Jules said…
Check out People.com, I know it's on the rack at the grocery store, but still. You said you didn't know who is and isn't famous, right? I'm addicted to the celebrity gossip.

Have you read The DaVinci Code? Whether or not you agree with the concept of the book, it was still a fantastic read. I would also recommend ANY of Dan Brown's books. They are all really smart books. The man is a genious. I would also recommend a book called The Five People You Meet In Heaven. Totally not what I thought it would be about.

As far as music goes, pick a new radio station to listen to in the car. Force yourself to listen to the "pop" station for just a week. Yeah, you will be bombarded with a lot of rap and hip-hop, but there will also be some really great artists mixed in there that you will absolutely LOVE. Some of my favorites (that, coincidently, aren't on the pop station) are: Norah Jones, Sheryl Crowe...ooh wow. I'm drawing a blank...oh well. There's something to work with anyway!

Sorry for the long ramble...
Katy said…
I followed a link and found your blog (probably from Behind the Stove?)... give Down the Line a try. They are based in Chicago and the website plays their songs when you go to it... have you read Ready Made before? Its definitely DIY stuff, but I like it a lot... I'll be watching these comments because in general, I live under a rock too, with my knitting.
Wendy said…
You know what ... I felt that way about music -- but, since my daughter is 9, she's listening to stuff I'd not heard and some of it isn't too bad. And, once I bought my iPod, I go to iTunes frequently and sample songs - and if you choose to download any, you can turn on the 'mini store' and that gives you similar artists from the music you've downloaded. It's pretty cool and a neat way to find new artists.
jenny said…
Heh. Just yesterday I was looking at your book list overthere in the sidebar and thought, ooh, I need to check some of those out on Amazon. So, at least you're well read over there in your cave :)
Newlywife said…
Don't feel so bad...when I was 23 and graduating from lawschool, my parents decided they would buy me a car...any car I wanted (within some reason).

My dad wanted me to get an Audi Convertible. My mom liked the small BMW 3 series.

I bought...drumroll please...

A Volvo S70...the boxy kind. I got it in red so I would try to convince people that it was sporty.

I had the same feeling about that car as you do about never trying anything new...
Lisa said…
All right, I'll throw a few out there. :)
Reads ... A Girl Named Zippy, The Historian, and I've just started The Devil Wears Prada which, despite some cuss words, is an absorbing, amusing look into a world I will never be a part of!

Music- Norah Jones is always a good one, also Damien Rice (album called "O" is great), and David Gray.

And I'm a devoted "Real Simple" magazine reader. Now that I think of it, that is on the magazine rack, so scratch that one.

And I would absolutely love to see the King Tut exhibit in Chicago.
Bearca said…
Not sure I'll be that helpful, what with me feeling the same way and all. In fact, I was just talking to my husband about this and asking him if he thinks we are stuck in a particular era. I think it happens to a lot of people - you just go with whatever books/music/hobbies that you developed during a particularly influential formative period, and stay put.

So I'm sympathizing, not necessarily helping out here! Maybe you could try some other new exciting fruits? Have you heard of the pluot?
SlushTurtle said…
Oriental Green Beans

1 1/2 lbs green beans, trimmed
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
6 garlic cloves, minced (I use the already chopped up kind in a jar)

In a large pot of rapidly boiling water, cook green beans until just tender-
4-5 minutes

While beans are cooking, combine soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar and set
aside

Drain Beans, set aside

Spray wok or large skillet with non- stick cooking spray. Cook garlic over
medium- high heat until softened (20-30 seconds). Add beans, stirring
constantly until well coated (about 2 minutes)

Add soy sauce mixture; continue stirring and turning until most of liquid is
absorbed, 1-2 minutes

(Total calories- 408, 6 g fat, 24 g fiber)

Even my sister, whom we lovingly call 'cookie girl', will eat these...
shayze said…
Music - My personal favorite is Vance Gilbert (not very heard of, but I love his stuff. Singer-songwriter, kinda folky), Amos Lee

Books - I have to agree with Jules on "Five People You Meet in Heaven". Amazing book! Also read "Saturn Return" by Mark Levine. Cute love story written by a man. Light read, but good. You can find it on Amazon.com

Cooking - I really can't help you there. All I ever do is heat as well.
Katrina said…
I'd like to throw in TobyMac for music, to bring out the rocker/rapper in you (I recommend starting with "Welcome to Diverse City" or "Renovating Diverse City"), and also Relient K (get "Mmhmm") and Superchick (Superchick's new album, "Beauty from Pain", is a great mix of reflection and fun), two of my favorite music groups.

Popular Posts