Dreams

If you could escape for an hour, where would you go? I would go to a bookstore and wander around picking up new fiction, new music and look around for cute men picking up good fiction and good music.

If you could escape for an evening, where would you go? I would go out to dinner with someone that I liked, where we would share food and flirtatious laughter over a glass of cheap wine. I’d go for a walk afterwards, in the cool of the evening, holding hands by the water, sharing a kiss under the stars.

If you could escape for a day, where would you go? I would go to my sister’s house. I’d enjoy cheesy potatoes and ham. We’d talk about every subject under the sun that doesn’t really matter. I’d play texas hold ‘em poker with G and Bear and anyone else who would join us. I’d read a bedtime story to LM and Little Bird and if I’m lucky I might get to rock with George in the rocker before he goes to bed.

If you could escape for a week, where would you go? I’d rent a cabin in Maine or some New England destination in October. I’d sit on the porch or on the dock watching the stillness of the water. I’d read a book and lay in a hammock. I’d listen to nature instead of the tv or telephone.

If you could escape for a month, where would you go? I’d go to Italy or Ireland or someplace I’ve never been where I’m the foreigner with the strange accent. I’d eat foods I can’t pronounce or identify. I’d dance and take photos and meet locals.

If you could escape for a year or more, relocate your life to a new location, where would you go? I’d go to Michigan, near my sis. I’d buy a cute two-story cape cod with a porch and a fenced yard. I’d take a job that used my creativity and fueled my passions. I’d see my niece and nephew every week. I’d spend time working in the yard with my son. I’d have a garden with six kinds of vegetables. I’d can applesauce with Michigan Ida Reds every fall and I’d eat peaches n’ cream sweet corn every summer and in the winter, more than two sets of eyes would lay upon our Christmas tree.


So what stops us? What makes this a dream and not reality? The mortgage, the kid is enrolled in school, LM’s dad lives nearby, my savings account currently boasts $100.76, I could list reasons why not all day. But I can summarize why in just three words: life is short.

When I started to look down the road to see where my life was headed it didn’t excite me. It didn’t match where my dreams were headed. I’ve decided it is time to bring them a little closer together, God willing. I had a phone interview this morning that was promising enough for me to hope for a personal interview next week. I’m meeting with a realtor later in the week to get some preliminary work done and LM’s dad and I are talking about the options on how to keep their relationship close despite the physical distance.

I hope someday to go to Italy or Ireland. I’m sure before too long I’ll browse through a bookstore with a stack of books in my arms. When someone wonderful comes along we’ll go to dinner and for a long, slow walk and we’ll share a kiss that makes me melt. Maybe next fall LM and I will visit New England, or someplace where the foliage takes our breath away. For right now I’m chasing my dreams to Michigan. Where do your dreams take you? Where would they take you if you let them?

Comments

Unknown said…
good luck to you in the pursuit of your dreams. i am working on a few of my own and know first hand that it's both exciting and scary at the same time. keep us posted on your progress! :)
jenny said…
*fingers crossed* for your interview, your realtor appointment...the whole lot of it. Congratulations on your HUGE first steps.


And October in New England? 1st stop: Gillette Stadium for some football. 2nd stop: Fenway, for some World Series baseball. 3rd stop: New Hampshire or Vermont for some brilliant leafy color. Sounds not so bad, eh? ;)
SlushTurtle said…
Ohhhh- how exciting! Keep us posted!
Jules said…
I am so happy for you! Moving to Michigan...wow. It will be nice to be near your family again, won't it?
shayze said…
You have no idea how much I am admiring your courage right now!
Lisa said…
I once had someone ask me why I wasn't doing what I dreamed of doing. A year later I was on a plane to Scotland to be a fulltime missionary. I loved this entry. "You'll never regret following your dreams but you will regret never trying."

Good luck!

Popular Posts