This Is My Classroom

My classroom is one of the smaller classrooms in our building.
My classroom has 27 second grade students this year.
My classroom has 15 boys and 12 girls.
My classroom has one diabetic child.
My classroom has one child on crutches after breaking both legs this summer.
My classroom has four students who spend portions of the day in the resource room.
My classroom has three students who receive speech therapy, and three more who need it.
My classroom has one student who receives weekly occupational therapy, three more who are "monitored" and two more who need it.
My classroom has two students who have behavior charts for every activity.
My classroom 11 students who are not academically at grade level.
My classroom has two students who spend time with the district social worker.
My classroom has more than one student who has seen a parent get arrested.
My classroom has more than one student who does not live with a biological parent.
My classroom has 5 computers and 24 reading books.
My classroom has push-in parapro support for one hour each day.
My classroom has a teacher who is fulfilling certification requirements by taking graduate courses that cost more than half her annual salary.
My classroom does not have one hour of uninterrupted time in the school day.
My classroom has a teacher who leaves the house at 6:30am and returns at 5pm.
My classroom is expected to implement new math stations this year.
My classroom is expected to implement new reading comprehension techniques this year.
My classroom is expected to implement new writing curriculum this year.
My classroom is expected to implement new reading stations this year.
My classroom has a teacher who has already spent more than she can claim on her taxes on her classroom.
My classroom has a teacher who will be evaluated based on student growth.

My classroom has a teacher who spent significant time this summer thinking through her schedule, her daily goals, her approach to curriculum, only to realize a week into school how futile a dream it is to think the teacher has any say or control over the logical order, timing or scheduling of academic subjects. 

My classroom has a teacher who wonders how on earth teachers in less fortunate districts ever teach anything at all.

Comments

Popular Posts